Fordmods Logo

EF Fairmont Suspension 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Fairmont Suspension
Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hi guys, apologies for another EF suspension thread....

After a solid month of research i have come to the conclusion that suspension places really don't want to sell anything these days- even if you go there personally or call them 3 times asking for a damn price. This being the case i have decided that i really cbf with a fully customised suspension package and have opted for something more or less off the shelf. Therefore, i would appreciate some feedback on the following...

1) Just after some feedback from those who run Koni sport shocks (yellow externally adjustable type). What spring have you used these with and how comfortable are they? Are they progressive or linear and what spring rate are they?

2) Also, i'm after some opinions on sway bars. A 30mm adjustable whiteline bar will be fitted up front however suspension experts have suggested to leave the rear bar stock. Thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers,
Anth

V8 Windsor here we come.....

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

dont go so big on the front if the rear is to be left stock, the car will understeer to much and handling will be worse off, go an EL GT 28mm front bar at the most if your leaving the rear alone

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:52 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

ACT, Australia

apologies for hijacking the thread...but i didnt want to open a new thread for a topic that has no doubt been doen to death...but i still cant quite find the answer im looking for.

I own an EL fairmont...done about 195000kms, its been lowered on kings springs, lows in the front and superlows at the back. It does however still have the factory shocks, which i think are getting a bit tired now. The left rear is making all kinds of ugly clunking noises.

So my question is if i was to change all 4 shocks (i assume its better to change the front and rear ones at the same time) what would ppl recommend? And since this has to be done...whats a ballpark figure, considering the fact that mechanically i am worse than a novice, it will have to be fitted by the shop.

i dont want to go the budget route, but i also dont anything over the top.

thanks in advance

Russell

A$1 = Tk 60 = I cant believe how much money im saving!

Post subject: Re: EF Fairmont Suspension
Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:24 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Chich wrote:

After a solid month of research i have come to the conclusion that suspension places really don't want to sell anything these days- even if you go there personally or call them 3 times asking for a damn price. This being the case i have decided that i really cbf with a fully customised suspension package and have opted for something more or less off the shelf. Therefore, i would appreciate some feedback on the following...

1) Just after some feedback from those who run Koni sport shocks (yellow externally adjustable type). What spring have you used these with and how comfortable are they? Are they progressive or linear and what spring rate are they?

2) Also, i'm after some opinions on sway bars. A 30mm adjustable whiteline bar will be fitted up front however suspension experts have suggested to leave the rear bar stock. Thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers,
Anth

2) Definately upgrade the rear bar.
As suggested by blu falc, a 30mm on the front with the stock 22mm rear will shift your cars balance toward understeer.
Whiteline do them in 24mm, fixed or adjustable.

Out of interest, have you considered going for a full Whiteline kit?

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

HTCURRY wrote:
apologies for hijacking the thread...but i didnt want to open a new thread for a topic that has no doubt been doen to death...but i still cant quite find the answer im looking for.

I own an EL fairmont...done about 195000kms, its been lowered on kings springs, lows in the front and superlows at the back. It does however still have the factory shocks, which i think are getting a bit tired now. The left rear is making all kinds of ugly clunking noises.

So my question is if i was to change all 4 shocks (i assume its better to change the front and rear ones at the same time) what would ppl recommend? And since this has to be done...whats a ballpark figure, considering the fact that mechanically i am worse than a novice, it will have to be fitted by the shop.

i dont want to go the budget route, but i also dont anything over the top.

thanks in advance

Russell

kyb heavy duty or boge shocks, $400 for all four and then what ever labour is like $150ish.

Chich after getting a ride in a mates el who has just the whiteline shocks and springs i would not hesistate in saying that a full whiteline kit at just over $1,000 supply, front and rear spings, shocks and sway bars, is one of your best options.

why do u write in here.

Post subject: Re: EF Fairmont Suspension
Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
Chich wrote:

Cheers,
Anth

2) Definately upgrade the rear bar.
As suggested by blu falc, a 30mm on the front with the stock 22mm rear will shift your cars balance toward understeer.
Whiteline do them in 24mm, fixed or adjustable.

Out of interest, have you considered going for a full Whiteline kit?

I definitely don't want understeer - might tell them to fit an adjustable rear bar on as well while the cars gonna be in the air. My objective is neutral handling so i suppose the adj rear bar will give me the ability to tune the whole system. They said it wasn't necessary so i'm only going on that at the moment..

I have considered the full whiteline kit but it from pics i've seen their 'superlow' springs are still too high for my liking - my current 6yo pedders sportsryder system (which has probably sagged a bit too) sits lower than the whiteline kit. At the moment the front needs to come down 5mm and the rear 20mm to get the guards j-u-s-t above the tyres.
I don't want it too uncomfortable and i definitely don't want guards lower than the tyre (i.e tyres in the guards) and want to avoid scrapage issues. For all of the above reasons king superlows are not suitable for my application..

Man i hate having an aussie car... all my mates have Jap cars and the bastards are spoilt for choice when it comes to suspensions...

V8 Windsor here we come.....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]