Fordmods Logo

el economy relay 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: el economy relay
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: el falcon

SA, Australia

hi, can anyone tell me where to find the relay for the economy switch? i cant get the car to run in economy mode and it wont change into top gear untill 130k. im figuring the relay would be a good place to start.

Post subject: Re: el economy relay
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

There is no relay according to my manual. Does the light on the dash come on ? If it doesn't there is most likely a switch or wiring fault. It may be worth resetting the engine computer. This can make a range of problems go away. Disconnect the battery for 1/2 an hour. You will have to enter the radio code after and retrain the remotes.

Regards 96ELGli

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ford au

QLD, Australia

when your doing 100 at what rpm does it sit at

I had a simillar issue turned out to be i think the s7 solinoid in the gear box,

Daily Driver, Series 1 Au Forte

Quote:
Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

the dash light does come on . my manual shows a relay in the wiring diagram but i havnt found it yet. its doing 2.5k revs @ 100k drops down to 2k @130 when the gear changes and if i slowly bak of the speed drops down to around 1.5 @110 b4 it shifts into 3rd again and the revs go up. ive been disconecting the battery all the time dont likle the idea of it going flat its underpowered for this car, havnt encounted a radio code though?? ill get under it tommorow and look for the solonoid is it hard to find?
cheers

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ford au

QLD, Australia

It controls the torque converter unlocking and locking, so its actually a gear box out job and it sits behind the gearbox pump

Daily Driver, Series 1 Au Forte

Quote:
Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

There is no relay... that economy switch feeds into the computer directly...

If your dash light is on and the switch wont turn it off then try a new switch... Maybe it's buggered...

Short of that try a new ECU...

Run diagnostics on the computer and see what error codes come out? It will tell you if you have a failed solenoid... You find it unless you pull the gearbox to pieces... No point climbing under the car expecting to see it...

Attachment:
EF EF MANUAL.pdf [148.85 KiB]
Downloaded 237 times

See here... Picks up power from fuse 16... So make sure with the key on one wire in the switch plug has power on it... (the red wire according to gregorys) and the grey with black should run to pin 4 one the computer...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

thx for the wiring diagram its completely differant to the one i have. the switch works, the light goes off when you switch it to normal and on when you put it to economy. i would rather like it to be a wiring problem pulling the gearbox wont be a lot of fun or perhaps too much fun! any idea what it will cost to get a diagnostic done?
thx again

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Economy sounds like it works fine then... If the light goes out then the computer us seeing the change...

Diagnostics on el you do yourself... Up the top you hover over resources then click tech docs... Find the e series section on diagnostics and follow the how to guide... Then cross check the codes you get...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

hi . still no luck with this car diagnostic doesnt work . would it be possible to make it change into top gear at a lower speed by adjusting the bands.? If the f7 solinoid was not working would the car still change into top gear at higher speed when not in economy mode. and is it normal to stay in 3rd until 130k?
many thx

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:21 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

wallywallop wrote:
hi . still no luck with this car diagnostic doesnt work . would it be possible to make it change into top gear at a lower speed by adjusting the bands.? If the f7 solinoid was not working would the car still change into top gear at higher speed when not in economy mode. and is it normal to stay in 3rd until 130k?
many thx

unfortunatly the band on ef onwards have no external adjustment, box needs to be dismantled to adjust the bands..
the s7 solinoid is for torque converter lock up and doesnt have any effect on shifting into top gear. unless what your thinking is top gear is actually the torque converter locking up???

i would be looking at the gear position/ inhibutor switch on the side of the trans and the tps switch on the throttle body. the tps does has an effect on when the trans changes gears..

imo it would be best to see if you can get it checker for fault codes first otherwise we are fault finding via sugestion only, you might replace parts that seem could be the cylprit but may be something else....

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

yes it seems i might need to get it looked at. I'm dont know what is meant by the torque converter locking . Anyway it is definitely a gear shift that happens at 130k if i moove the gear stick into 3rd after the change it drops back at any other time useing the stick does nothing and the engine revs correspond to the gear. oh well thanks for all your help I'll see what the profesionals can come up with.. cheers

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

The torque convertor normally has some slip, at higher speeds it locks up to allow better fuel economy. Google and see what you find. ( I have over simplified, but you should get the idea )

Regards 96ELGli

Regards 96ELGli

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]