Fordmods Logo

EL Fairmont: After she is warm i lose 3rd/Drive gears. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Fairmont: After she is warm i lose 3rd/Drive gears.
Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:57 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Hey all =)

I'm faced with a situation with my trust ol EL Fairmont and could really do with your help.

I've had it for 4 years now and never had a problem in the gearbox department until now.
What happens is that once you drive for a good 10-15mins the 3rd and Drive gears will just rev out as if it were in neutral, while 1st and 2nd gear work perfectly fine.

Last weekend i went to remove the bolt on the side of the tranny to check the fluid and instantly had fluid spewing out all over the place for a good 30-40 seconds which i wasn't expecting! That was the first warning sign but god knows how they got that much fluid in there considering they would had to have forced fluid in there before quickly putting the bolt back in, right?

After checking the pan i noticed that there was a thin layer of what looked like fine metallic dirt on the pan which is never a good sign.
I changed the filter and refilled it with the correct fluid and took it for a drive. 15mins later the exact same thing happened.

So i was just wondering if there is ANY chance that the problem is elsewhere or will i need to replace the stuffed gearbox?
I really hope not as if that's the case i'll just sell it :(
Thanks all!! :)

Last edited by shmickmik on Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: EL Fairmont: After she is warm i lose 3rd/Drive gears.
Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:13 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

After a bit of research could this possibly be related to the S2 Solenoid by any chance?

I've ran a diagnostic check on the ecu but don't get any errors relating to any of the solenoids unfortunately. :roll:

Although if it's clogged up that wouldn't return an error would it, only if it's an electrical issue correct?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]