Fordmods Logo

EL Falcon - ABS activating at 5km/h and under 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Falcon - ABS activating at 5km/h and under
Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

Have another problem with the taxi - ABS kicks in and starts hammering the pedal as I'm coming to a stop, completely at random, at around 5km/h and under.

It happens on the straights, up & down hill, forward and reverse, going left or right.

Happens a couple of times a day. Can't say its getting worse, it only started doing it a week ago and now I'm getting annoyed with it. Car still stops ok but you hear the ABS motor spin up and the pedal is pulsating.

I'm thinking a dodgy wheel sensor or wiring but do the Ford ABS units have a diagnostic mode I can check?

The ABS light isn't showing any faults and ABS works as per normal every time in the wet and dry.

Cheers

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

check all ur hubs and make sure theres no s**t dirt / metal filings etc in your sensing ring and clean up the 'pickups' as well,

These are magnetic pulsators and detect a stationary wheel,
It may help (lets hope) but then again it may not. but worth a check

cheers

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:50 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

speedo working ok?

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yep speedo is fine

I'm betting it's gonna be the filings, I saw them when I reshimmed & machined the LSD so i'll give it a go blowing them out tomorrow.. For some stupid reason it didn't even cross my mind they could be the problem...

Cheers

Post subject: Re: EL Falcon - ABS activating at 5km/h and under
Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:38 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Bozz wrote:
but you hear the ABS motor spin up and the pedal is pulsating.I'm thinking a dodgy wheel sensor or wiring but do the Ford ABS units have a diagnostic mode I can check?The ABS light isn't showing any faults and ABS works as per normal every time in the wet and dry.
I didn't think you could hear the ABS modulator.
There is the ABS diagnostic in the doco's section - see if you get any codes, then clear them - they may be old.
I'd suggest you confirm the ABS is the problem and not the brakes themselves - your rotors may be getting a slight warp (as you know pulsation should be always, but maybe not). You can pull the ALB fusible link - it only powers ABS and nothing else. The ABS light will stay on. Brakes will then operate like a non ABS car. Run the car for a few days like this and see if the problem disappears or not.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

snap0964

It certainly is the ABS, I regularly test it and have known the difference between ABS pulsing and rotor shudder for a very long time....

You certainly hear ABS if its operating in my car without much deceleration. Try it on grass at 20km/h, or just after rain falls following a long dry spell on the road from a slowish speed.

Well I cleaned the rear sensor rings which did have a small amount of metal filings on them, hasn't done it today but we'll see how it goes over the next week.

Cheers

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Yeah, fair enough.

I'd say you'll find plenty of metal filings on the front sensors as well. Probably may be plenty crap on the front tone wheels as well . . . .

I know my fronts were scraping the sensors, causing some pulsing, I had to seat the tone wheels on the discs as they weren't done properly in the first place, pulsing cleared after that.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]