Fordmods Logo

EL rack into EF 

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: EL rack into EF
Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:51 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Futura wagon, BF MKIII Wagon

QLD, Australia

just want to let those who want to upgrade their EF with an EL rack, it is not as easy as some may have you believe:

there are many posts here saying EF/EL racks are interchangeable providing the intermediate shaft is also replaced...yes, this is true, however the rack will not centre due the to the splines not aligning above the intermediate shaft. Some have recommended removing the rack head/tower, realigning the pinion shaft and all is good. This is also true.

Problem is, as I have experienced twice now, is that this method seems to induce an oil leak from the torsion bar seal inside the pinion shaft. Most likely because realigning the pinion shaft does not align the oil pressure ports correctly and the rack is constantly in a pressured position even when driving in a straight line. Or I may have just been unlucky.

I found out the hard way that EF/EL steering columns are not the same. The lower shaft which attaches to the top universal joint above the intermediate shaft, has a different master spline. So, if you're going to put an EL rack into an EF, consider changing the steering column lower shaft also, then the splines will be perfect, no need to realign the pinion shaft in the rack.

I have attached a pic to show the approximate differences in EF/EL master splines on the steering column lower shaft. It is easy to changeover the shaft, just remove steering column and swap the shaft.

:D

Attachments:
File comment: approximate master spline position
EL_EF Master Splines.jpg
EL_EF Master Splines.jpg [ 37.14 KiB | Viewed 205 times ]

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]