Fordmods Logo

EL Shifter - Auto, Is mine normal? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Shifter - Auto, Is mine normal?
Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon EL Option 20

QLD, Australia

Hey guys,

Got a question, I own an ex-police option 20, EL 98 Falcon. it's apparently had some work done to the gearbox back when it came out as a police car. It's got LSD and all the works on it. Just wondering about something though, having never driven another EL before I don't have anything to compare. When you put the gear selector into first, on a normal EL do you have to push the release button again to upshift gears?

Reason I ask: I don't have to push the button going up from 1st all the way to drive, but i have to push the button going from 2nd to first (which is good, don't want to shift it down to first when i'm doing 100 on a freeway by accident :twisted: ).

Also when it is on a selected drive such as 2nd, should it rev out or change gears automatically? As mine just redlines, which can be bad sometimes if your not aware your in a gear.

Sorry for the possibly noob questions, it's just I don't have any other falcons to test drive (except the ones at work which are too modern anyways)

Cheers
Josh

Post subject: Re: EL Shifter - Auto, Is mine normal?
Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6

ACT, Australia

same as my el xr6 mate

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

splosh123 wrote:
Hey guys,

Got a question, I own an ex-police option 20, EL 98 Falcon. it's apparently had some work done to the gearbox back when it came out as a police car. It's got LSD and all the works on it. Just wondering about something though, having never driven another EL before I don't have anything to compare. When you put the gear selector into first, on a normal EL do you have to push the release button again to upshift gears?
NO

Reason I ask: I don't have to push the button going up from 1st all the way to drive, but i have to push the button going from 2nd to first (which is good, don't want to shift it down to first when i'm doing 100 on a freeway by accident :twisted: ).

Also when it is on a selected drive such as 2nd, should it rev out or change gears automatically? As mine just redlines, which can be bad sometimes if your not aware your in a gear.
They only upshift to the highest gesr selected. I foyu have in in 2nd, it will only use 1st and second gears.

Sorry for the possibly noob questions, it's just I don't have any other falcons to test drive (except the ones at work which are too modern anyways)

Cheers
Josh

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Too easy, just checking, looking back on the post probably could of explained it a bit shorter and simpler lol.

How much can the falcon gearbox take? It's got a secondary transmission cooler, but obviously not knowing what has been done to gearbox I can't be sure on how well built it is.

Anyone have any ideas on what QLD Police did to the 4speed Ford Auto boxes?

Last edited by splosh123 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

splosh123 wrote:
Too easy, just checking, looking back on the post probably could of explained it a bit shorter and simpler lol.

No problems mate, btw what area in Redcliffe are you in and what colour is the EL, I'll have to keep an eye out for it

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

67RCE wrote:
splosh123 wrote:

No problems mate, btw what area in Redcliffe are you in and what colour is the EL, I'll have to keep an eye out for it

Blue with faded roof and boot paint... real typical Redcliffe style :wink: And i'm in scarborough.

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

splosh123 wrote:
67RCE wrote:
splosh123 wrote:

Blue with faded roof and boot paint... real typical Redcliffe style :wink: And i'm in scarborough.

I have a blue with faded bonnet EL just down the road from me, but I'm in Woody Point. If you see a Red AU XR it may be me!

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

67RCE wrote:
splosh123 wrote:
67RCE wrote:
splosh123 wrote:

I have a blue with faded bonnet EL just down the road from me, but I'm in Woody Point. If you see a Red AU XR it may be me!

Sweet, I'll give you a race on ANZAC :P

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

splosh123 wrote:
67RCE wrote:
splosh123 wrote:
67RCE wrote:
splosh123 wrote:

Sweet, I'll give you a race on ANZAC :P

My car doesn't move at the moment, no box in it cause i killed the clutch. Something about skidpan and clutch kicking it didn't like

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]