Fordmods Logo

EL Steering rack rebuild 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: EL Steering rack rebuild
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 59

Posts: 2

Joined: 5th Apr 2016

Ride: Futura EL 1998

Location: OATLEY
NSW, Australia

My first post - thanks in advance forum members for reading.
The power steering rack has been leaking for a couple of months. I removed it last weekend and bought a $40 seal kit. Dismantling the rack has been a chore as the rack is not just stratightforward nuts and bolts. At the moment I cannot remove the rack from the cast housing - some special tool needed - like a socket with four round pins. It has been recommended to me not to proceed with the rebuild, but to spend $200 on an exchange unit. I would like to get some of the forum members opinions on the wisdom or stupidity of dismantling and rebuilding the rack as opposed to buying one and bolting it on. Cheers. RicT
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Steering rack rebuild
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 971

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: el wagon

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

Quote:
It has been recommended to me not to proceed with the rebuild, but to spend $200 on an exchange unit



Not worth the hassle of taking the thing apart and re-building. This way it is just "plug and play". Plus you get a warranty 8-)
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Steering rack rebuild
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2619

Joined: 22nd Jan 2009

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

Location: Geeelong
VIC, Australia

think i read that post? ... and i think it was grumps [SWC]?? who mentioned grabbing the exchange unit ,,, i'd go with the exchange as he said if you don't know what ya doing with it
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Steering rack rebuild
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:47 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 52

Posts: 5568

Joined: 14th Jan 2005

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

Location: South Coast
NSW, Australia

If you're doing only the one, go a reco unit.
Otherwise you'll need to make up some special tools - needlenose pliers and vicegrips for the passenger side seal retainer, a hex socket for the rack preload to pinion. The five teflon rings need to be stretched and compressed when fitted, you can do them without the special tools, but it is an art, and if you damage one, you'll need to buy another complete seal kit.

 

_________________

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Steering rack rebuild
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:57 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 59

Posts: 6817

Joined: 22nd Jun 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

Location: Campbelltown
NSW, Australia

RicT wrote:
My first post - thanks in advance forum members for reading.
The power steering rack has been leaking for a couple of months. I removed it last weekend and bought a $40 seal kit. Dismantling the rack has been a chore as the rack is not just stratightforward nuts and bolts. At the moment I cannot remove the rack from the cast housing - some special tool needed - like a socket with four round pins. It has been recommended to me not to proceed with the rebuild, but to spend $200 on an exchange unit. I would like to get some of the forum members opinions on the wisdom or stupidity of dismantling and rebuilding the rack as opposed to buying one and bolting it on. Cheers. RicT


Unless you have the tools and the skills, go with the exchange unit.

Some guys on here, like Snap, have the skills to do the job.

With the exchange unit you get warranty, as creeture3 has stated.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Steering rack rebuild
Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:12 am 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 59

Posts: 2

Joined: 5th Apr 2016

Ride: Futura EL 1998

Location: OATLEY
NSW, Australia

Thank you all for your good advice. A reco unit it is. In the future, I am going to obtain an old rack from a wrecker and build the tools required to dismantle and rebuild the unit. I have two old Fords (EL and NF) and a good workshop (drill press, lathe, fly press, mig welder, grinders) at my disposal - but I don't want to do all this while the car is on stands in the driveway. Thanks guys - much appreciated.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL Steering rack rebuild
Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:59 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 1000487

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

RicT wrote:
Thank you all for your good advice. A reco unit it is. In the future, I am going to obtain an old rack from a wrecker and build the tools required to dismantle and rebuild the unit. I have two old Fords (EL and NF) and a good workshop (drill press, lathe, fly press, mig welder, grinders) at my disposal - but I don't want to do all this while the car is on stands in the driveway. Thanks guys - much appreciated.



great idea!
this way if you stuff the old rack up it dont matter!

 

_________________

RIP SCOTT

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:44 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names