Fordmods Logo

EL trans problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: EL trans problem
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:25 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

HEELP! Ready for the sad story of the year? So here I am in Newcastle, with the big storm coming friday night, all snug and warm, when the wife rings me and says she is trapped on the second floor at work in Cardiff, watching the EB S pack float away in a sinking position. Next my young bloke calls me from town and tells me his dunnydore has gone down like the Titanic. So, out I go in my prized EL on a rescue mission, first saving the wife, although it WOULD have been a good move to save the s pack, given later developments, and then on to rescue my son and his mate (mucous), after much wading through freezing water we gave up on the dunnydore, and I went over next morning and dried it out, hooked up the jumper leads from the EL and got it started and limped it home, the computer still seems ok, most surprising. Hmm, thinks I, maybe I can :evil: rescue the S pack. Over I goes this morning, dries it out, puts on the jumper leads, but as the battery was dead flat due to being submerged overnight, could not get it to start, although it did come close. The hell with it, let the insurance company worry about it! Which brings me to the sad part of this tale, had to go out and about, and a few hours later on the way home, in the EL, the speedo started to "swing" wildly, and the transmission lost top gear, seems to only have second and third, and if you go over about 50kmh it revs out until speed is reduced. Think yhis may be "limp home mode" but not sure, drove home at 50kmh with the hazard lights on, about 15 ks, just around the cornor from home there was the proverbial idiot, sitting behind me instead of using the overtaking lane and blowing his horn! (had to happen, theres always one isnt there?!!

So, the question I ask you learned dudes is this, could this problem be
A: because I have driven through water (up to the sills)
B: because I jump started the other cars, or
c: has the tranny crapped out

Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved, I am starting to feel like that mexican bloke................. (Carless, er carlos or, aaargh whatever, HELP!) Three cars in three days has to be a new record or something!

Car is 97 EL, tickford duel fuel wagon.

NO COMPUTERS IN CARS (4 LEGS) GOOD, COMPUTERS IN CARS (2 LEGS) BAD!
a little Orwell style humour!

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:30 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

sounds like you have water in your tranny oil

aaahh yes! a forums with more freedom than a nerd in an empty library- www.psupernak.com register asap!

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:34 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Yair, I thought about that, but the tranny is supposed to be a sealed unit, (no dipstick) so how could it happen?

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:34 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

they have a breather at the top above the sump

aaahh yes! a forums with more freedom than a nerd in an empty library- www.psupernak.com register asap!

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:40 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

OK, this I didnt know. So do you think a service would fix it or would it be terminal? I also wondered wether the computer might have to be reset. When I was jump starting my sons commode door, an old bloke told me that it was a good idea to hook the negative jumper terminal to the engine lifting bracket instead of the negative battery terminal, so I did. It worked, but when I hooked up to the EB nothing would go through unless I hooked up to the negative battery terminal, as a result I am now beating myself up in case I have done this myself through ignorance. Curse all computerised cars! Gimme the old cars any day!

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:42 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

nah computer will be ok, if not fried,
id do more than a service, id get it flushed

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:49 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

OK, will sweat it out till tuesday and get it looked at. I will be reduced to driving the young blokes commodore (if it will run - have to do an engine flush as there is water in the oil - the dipstck popped out, but his tranny seems ok so far) Gonna look great, an old bloke nearly 60 driving around in a bright green commo with big doof doof speakers sitting on the back parcle shelf and no hub caps! Ah well at least I will be driving and not walking! Hell, it might even make me feel 19 again! Thanks for you advice mate, hope I can return the favour one day. Bushrat.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]