Fordmods Logo

EL XR6 Tires? What should i be looking for.. 

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: EL XR6 Tires? What should i be looking for..
Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:51 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL XR6

Power: 173 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Looking at getting a new set of tires for my EL XR6.
I have been pretty keen on getting some Federal 595's as i have seen a set of four on ebay for only $480.
But what are your thoughts? What tires are people running these days?

Thanks

EL XR6- 18'' BA XR8 wheels-King Springs-Pacemaker Extractors With a full 3'' exhaust threw..-High Compression pistons-Lumpy cam-Big valves-"head work"-3.45LSD-FPV short throw shifter-Fusion 1000w sub&fusion 350w amp
Next mod, Piggy backed computer and dyno tune! BA intake pipe

Post subject: Re: EL XR6 Tires? What should i be looking for..
Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:18 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I personally wouldn't drive on them, Brakes and tyres I stick to 'main' brand names.

Saying that, A lot of people reckon Federal isn't too bad, I would certainly choose them over triangle and possibly maxxis.

Just remember with that sort of Tread, they'll be noisey.

I found Hancook Ventus V12 evo are excellent.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I have had a few sets of Federal tyres over the years, and I currently have a set on the mighty boy, in 165/45 R15 size. Yes you read that correctly, a 45 profile 15" tyre that is 165 wide lol. They are a "FD1". Cost me $150 a pop iirc. For $200 a tyre I could have had Bridgestones, but all the reviews said it wasn't really worth the money for them on the sort of car I was fitting them to.

I have found them to be really good tyres, good enough in the wet, good in the dry, reasonably long wearing as well. It's a fwd car.

Federal tyres are not "expensive" per say, but they are not cheap either.

Is your Xr6 stock or is it fairly modified? What sort of driving do you do? How long do you expect a tyre to last? The numbers that help work out how to compare tyres are the Tread wear number, traction & temperature letters.

Get a price & the model number of the tyres, then do some googleing to find some reviews & have a read.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

We have falkens on the EL XR8 and they are great. Good in the wet not noisy good grip and they seem to wear ok. For us they are a good all round tyre so far. Ours are 235/45 17 on the front and 255/40 17 on the rear. Fit well and don't scrub. Rear ones were $600 for the pair fitted but.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

I got Toyo Proxes 4s on the AU XR6. Best tyres I've had. Sticky as wet or dry, no tyre noise, still look new after 15000kms. I'd reccomend them for a powerful car. I can nail it from the lights and they just chirp and hang on. Cost around $200 for a 235/45/17.

Much better than the crap Dunlop SP Sport 3000A that were fitted factory. They retail for around $250! They are also slippery, noisy and wear quite quickly.

I bought Kuhmo Ecstas for an EF I had once, 225/50/16. They were good for the price, couldn't really complain.

Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I have some kuhmo tyres on the EB Ghia atm, not sure what they are exactly but they are wearing pretty reasonable, and are fairly sticky. I got them with the rims they are on, and dunno what they are worth, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were around $180 a tyre for 235/45 R17's.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

I've had problems with Michelins making the car feel like the alignment was out - after much tailchasing and $$ spent on alignment and suspension parts, replaced the healthy "looking" michelins and problem went away...

Pirelli 5000 and 6000 - the 5000's were better than the 6000's but both were noisy. Have also since realised there are better tyres than either out there for less cost...

I stuck with kumho for many years but put GT Radials on my EF a bit over a year ago and have been really pleased with them - no nasty vices, quiet on the road, feel and handle good - and most remarkably they're wearing amazingly well...

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:44 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 97 EL XR6

VIC, Australia

I have a set of Falken FK452's on my EL-XR6 and I feel that they are one of the best tyres that I have had. They are not too good in terms of wearability being a slightly softer compound (having said that the only reason that they are wearing out on my car is because of the negative camber I have in the front), but they grip really well in the wet and the ride was a noticeably smoother.

They are an expensive tyre, 235/45 R17s go for about $220 to $230 each. But if you want good grip then they are worth it. Next set of tyres I want to check out the Bridgestone Adrenalin Potenza’s, to check out wearability and grip seeing as the tyres that I have now are in that price range.

hope that helps

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:16 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I will be buying new sets of tyres soon...only for the front though.

Currently running Dunlop SP3000A all round. 235/45/17, they are rather noisy but have decent wear rate IMO (been on them for 2 years now...about 40000km). I was thinking of getting them again since they have treated me well, but considering the price of them I believe there might be an alternative. I have been lazy so didn't rotate the tyres hence the front are pretty much down to the wear indicator (actually only the front passenger side...but thats because of an accident whereby the front drivers side was replaced leaving one healthy wheel and the other rather useless). So the rears are still good for now, so with new fronts, I am hoping after another 30000km or so, all tyres can be changed at the same time next time round.

Since I don't drive as often anymore, wear rate isn't too much of a concern, more concerned on grip and road noise. I would like a little bit more quietness on the road when driving now.

I have read some reviews that Nexen N6000 seem to be good but not sure on price yet and some Bridgestone tyres but they will probably just as pricey.

So anyone got any recommendation on tyres...I don't mind paying up to $200 a corner (fitted)...however the cheaper the better being a tight a*** and all. Also if anyone has had experience with Nexen N6000 tyres and can give a feedback, that would be great.

As extra info, I got quoted $229 a corner for Dunlop SP3000A, fitted and balanced...I believe he also said wheel alignment but I could be wrong.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:04 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 97 EL XR6

VIC, Australia

Hey mate,
I have a friend who has a G6E Turbo and got a set of these tyres, Hero - Milanza HZ-1, for his car. He says that they are more grippy compared to the stock tyres, which were the same as your old tyres (dunlop sp3000). He says that DSC doesnt need to kick in once he got the new tyres. ofcourse it kicks in when he really boots it but its not as much as it used to be.

I got a quote for my car, $135 fitted. I have an EL XR6 tyre size is the same as yours.
I want to give them a go next.

hope that helps

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

I have Khumo KU36 on the front and Federal 595's on the rear. I'm due for new front tyres (3 years old, done roughly 40000k's) and will be replacing them with another pair of KU36. I run 235/45R17's and these are $192ea.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Have had Federal FD2's on my FG XR6 for the past month, quieter and stick better than the OE Dunlops. They are 235-45-17" with 97 load rating and for $400 fitted im very happy. Got them from Advance tyres in Richmond. They can be found on ebay.

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:39 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I was thinking Federals or Khumo KU36s...never heard of Hero...might have a geezer. I'll suss out what the local dealer has. KU36s seem a little more expensive than I was hoping, but if they perform better for an extra 50 odd, then would be worth it.

Hey Joolz, was that for all 4?

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
Hey Joolz, was that for all 4?

Yeah all 4 but if paid on ebay fitting is extra. Only took them 30min to fit.

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:22 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

KU36's are too soft for every day use, Better off with something like Falken FK452's or ZE912's.

I have a car.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next