Fordmods Logo

ELXR6 Brake upgrade idea? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: ELXR6 Brake upgrade idea?
Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:28 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EB2 Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hey all i'm nearly register my project XR and after doing some 'test' driving i'm realising the new discs/pads it needed hav'nt really improved the known lack of braking power the reveiws i've read have said.......and
especially after being used to the great brakes my EF Mont has.....Now i'm thinking/wondering what differences there are between them ie master cylinder or calipers and can i upgrade the XR by fitting EF Mont stuff.......Any ideas????

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:33 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

They're Identical.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:39 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Krytox wrote:
They're Identical.

I was thinking the same thing :?. Both brakes are identical, only difference between XR and Mont (non-Ghia) is the power and weight. Considering the XR is lighter then the Fairmont, I would have thought the XR would brake much easier. Might want to get your brakes checked out then :?.

Though if you want a brake upgrade for an E-seried, be prepared for the cost. EL GT brake (330mm) kits are like 2K and Cebco, as I have found, sell their kits for $2500 (not sure if it's installed though).

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:55 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

I'm not sure taht they're the same as the Monts are obviuosly heavier and mine has excelent brakes which may also be softer pads but it just feels stronger......Tho the XR has'nt had a chance to properly 'wear in' yet so it will prob improve but testers have said the XR's lacked braking power so why it is so???? I will have to wait and see and if i can't upgrade using Mont stuff the next two things would be softer pads which save the discs anyways and then some braided lines which i read in a search thread are only around $250 which is very reasonable!!!!

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:23 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

'lacked performance' in testing compared to 'other' branded performance cars.

Be it as it may, they're the same brakes, Perhaps rotor/pad combination vary in your vehicles.

Sure braided lines/u-beaut fluids/improved booster supporting/caliper upgrades etc will improve the performance, but theres a pricetag!.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ED Falcon

SA, Australia

I take it you have let the new pads bed in say 200 to 300 KMs.

Fluid could be an issue, new brake fluid, failing that maybe the brake booster is stuffed.

I post here cos the russian tank driver doesn't

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:34 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

No they're def not 'run in' yet so i may be jumping the gun but it was more of an 'idea' after reading the 'Drive.com' reveiw on the Six.....which just re instated how the EF/L XR6 is still a good all rounder.....Apart from a lack of braking power!!!
Does anyone agree that the Monts brake better and if so ......why and how????

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

They are the same calliper, same disc size, same s**t brakes!
If you think an ef has good brakes you are dreaming - they are a single pot calliper and offer barely enough braking power.
Cebco do an upgrade kit but you have to change the stub axel to accomodate the larger discs and calliper. They offer a twin pot calliper offering a lot better braking performance.

You may have different discs on your el or pads, but like it or not they are the same setup apart from whatever consumables you have changed ie pads and discs

Nicko

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

BlkEB2 wrote:

nope...driven both plus my car and all have relatively s**t braking to other cars i have driven

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:49 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

skidder wrote:
BlkEB2 wrote:

nope...driven both plus my car and all have relatively s**t braking to other cars i have driven

O.k well i can't rembr what pads are in the EF but they must be really soft to give that 'good feel' (better check how much is left) .....But i seem to rmbr when the EF was released they said they had strong brakes which caused the discs to warp alot which would explain why they usually need machining every 10,000....I've even been told not to sit on the pedal too hard at lights to prevent warpage......Maybe it's just that they're alot better than my old EB2 was (see handle name!)????? I prefer to run a soft pad anyways as they save the discs and give better control in both wet and dry conditions...Will have to wait and see how the 'run in' goes!!!

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

Ok then from my personal experience.
I had a "new" ED which had piss poor brakes with a poor feel. The discs lasted a long time.
I had a "new" EF and EL which had the same set up but with softer iron discs and "metal" pads. The braking was much better but the discs lasted 50,000klm if you were lucky.
I got DBA discs which lasted 150,000klm with bendix ultimate pads these s**t me from too much dust. I have tried various pads with varied success.
All discs seem to get hot spots and shudder. My mate had an EL XR6 from new and it was the same as my EL wagon.
My Dad had an AU3 and it got the shudders just as bad.
My new territory so far has great brakes but since the calipers are the same as AU3 I am quietly pessimistic for the long term reliability.
I have just picked up a pair of 4 pot BMW 733i calipers and I will be experimenting with this for performance on the EF.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]