engine vibration 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: engine vibration
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: eb xr8 falcon/1966 xr fairmont

SA, Australia

hi guys i have a 1999 series 1 xr8 sedan, i have a vibration thats annoying me
i had to replace a worn cluct so bought a stage 2 mantic clutch with new fork and resurfaced the flywheel, then mounted everything in its procedure with torque specs etc,
started the car and idles very nice as she always does, took it for a drive started getting vibrations from 2000rpms and upwards in every gear, came to a stop and put into neutral reved the car up past 200rpm and same issue so i thought harmonic balancer, replaced that, no change so i thought the flywheel may be out of balance, rang the clutch centre and they said that they are and internal balanced flywheel, then i asked if the flywheel can be bolted on out of sequence, bolt sequence, apparently they only go on 1 way, so im at a stale mate with this situation any help would be awsome

Post subject: Re: engine vibration
Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:52 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AUII Fairmont- Tickford enhanced

TAS, Australia

Sounds to me like the new clutch disc or throw bearing/fork has failed.
Something as simple as a broken clutch spring will cause your issues.
Logic depicts if it was fine before & now vibrates, gotta be one of the new parts ?

Fly wheels are balanced by drilling out surface material, not adding weight/s. A one time job in it's lifetime.
Could also be a flywheel bolt that has come loose. That's happened before!

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:04 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

hi rust belt im going to change the engine mounts and gearbox first see if that changes anything if not ill pull the box out and check everything, i did locktite all flywheel bolts and clutch bolts so they shouldnt be coming loose.
do you know if the crankshaft and flywheel can be fitted out of bolt sequence or all the holes are exactly the same distance apart?
people have told me the only bolt on 1 way like a cleveland

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:02 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AUII Fairmont- Tickford enhanced

TAS, Australia

I have not dealt with V8 but the 6 cyl flywheels I've seen can go on any way, there's no keyway, just a matter of making sure the bolts don't come back out.
If the flywheel is balanced correctly when manufactured, there shouldn't be any need to re balance, ever, unless new starter ring gear has been fitted.

Maybe the clutch plate has not bed in correctly or it has crap gummed/burnt onto it ?

If mounts are broken, then you'll hear a thud as the engine drops back onto the mount after accelerating, broken trans mount will usually allow the rear housing/uni to hit the floorpan, making a god awful noise when you power on.
Test both with a block of wood on a jack (under eng' sump, then g'box) & slowly lift them... see what moves!

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

yea im thinking ive put the fly wheel out by 1 bolt hole, ill hopefully get to it this weekend and let ya know

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]