Fordmods Logo

fairmont manual 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: fairmont manual
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Has anyone put a 5 speed in a el fairmont ghia.
I am trying firgure out which wires to place the resistors.
The wire colours dont marry up with wiring diagram in my workshop manual.
I have looked through voxace install guide and no joy there.

Are the resistors there to trick it into being in park?

Any help would be great.

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:27 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Hey mate.

I have converted my fairmont into a manual...though not a ghia I am sure the resistor trick is the same.

I can't remember the colours of the wires, but the way I have tackled this was to bend the ends of the resistors so they act like a spade and just plug them into the wiring harness, then taped the s**t out of it to make it "water proof".

Yes, the resistors trick the ECU in thinking the car is in Park/Neutral and also telling the ECU that the transmission oil has correct optimal temperature that way your thermo fans don't start running.

Sorry can't help you with the exact colours of the wires though...bit lazy to get under the car.

phong =P~

EDIT: I checked the wires. You should have 4 different plugs coming from the engine wiring loom. A large round one with heaps of wires connected to it and 3 smaller 2-wired plugs. 2 of the smaller ones should be able to be connected to the existing plugs on the transmission (if they weren't already cut off). The 2 that are able to be matched with the right plug should be your reverse sensor and speedometer gear thing.

The other smaller 2-wired plug should be the neutral switch. This plug is pretty simple since it only has 2 wires so just put a resistor between the 2 wires. I got lazy pulling the tape off, so I am unsure as to what the colours the wires are for that plug. If you haven't cut it yet, then you are pretty much set, have fun if you already cut it.

The larger round plug has a whole lot of wires. The 2 wires that need to have a resistor between them are the Black/White and Yellow wires. I had 2 solid yellow wires on my plug, but I used the yellow wire that was right next to the black/white wire. This is to trick the ECU that the temperature of the transmission oil is OK and thus eliminates the thermo fans from staying on.

I am unsure which resistor value goes where though. So someone else will have to help you on that.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Just went down and checked the wires.

Thank you for helping me out.
This is the exact info I was after :D :D :D :D

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]