Fordmods Logo

Few Suspension Q's 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

im as above, whiteline with swaybars. f**k excellent! worth every cent.

you wont regret going the better stuff from whiteline

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL

SA, Australia

Thanks for the feedback guys. Rang the insurance company today and after a long chat with them, they said that my policy and premium would not be affected after the alterations. The only thing which it would incur is an extra $500 excess in the event of a claim which has something to do with a new clause they introduced last year regarding changes to the vehicle's manufacturers specs. Something to do with a 'possible cause' of the incident. Apparently even if the alterations are within govt. regulation, they still look at it as a modification which may have contributed to an incident. Load of C%#P if you ask me.
Hey nicco. Your EF sits quite nice on the road in your photo gallery. Those control springs you using also? Mate. Looks the goods for a 35mm drop. Are you on 15 or 16in rims? Will post pics when i get my setup installed.

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:35 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Hazzard wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. Rang the insurance company today and after a long chat with them, they said that my policy and premium would not be affected after the alterations. The only thing which it would incur is an extra $500 excess in the event of a claim which has something to do with a new clause they introduced last year regarding changes to the vehicle's manufacturers specs. Something to do with a 'possible cause' of the incident. Apparently even if the alterations are within govt. regulation, they still look at it as a modification which may have contributed to an incident. Load of C%#P if you ask me.
Hey nicco. Your EF sits quite nice on the road in your photo gallery. Those control springs you using also? Mate. Looks the goods for a 35mm drop. Are you on 15 or 16in rims? Will post pics when i get my setup installed.

That's pretty gay...so if you get aftermarket springs with the same height as stock they'll claim it as a modification? or just lowered?

Just hope you don't get into an accident to make a claim and pay the extra $500 excess.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

phongus wrote:
Hazzard wrote:

That's pretty gay...so if you get aftermarket springs with the same height as stock they'll claim it as a modification? or just lowered?

Just hope you don't get into an accident to make a claim and pay the extra $500 excess.

phong =P~
Nah phongus. Lowered. If you maintain the manufacturers specs, they wont care. According to the insurance company, even if you drop the original ride height as little as 1cm, that is considered by them as a modification. I know its quite petty stuff.

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hazzard wrote:

cheers mate. yeah i am just using control springs. i reckon it sits pretty good too!! :lol: it was lower than i expected.

and yeah, i'm using 15" rims, good cheap tyres at least! :P definately post up pics once your done

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Well, as promised i said i would post pics after the install of the Whiteline Control springs and Boge short strokes.
Unfortunately there was an issue with the rear springs and both Whiteline and Car Torque in SA are trying to get to the bottom of things.
After installing the springs, the fronts turned out perfect lowering the front end by 25mm. The rears for some mysterious reason dropped initially by 40mm and after nearly 2 weeks of driving, the a** end is now sitting between 45 and 50mm lower 'Hub to Guard measurement'. This i would say is super low territory. Handling and ride quality of the vehicle is a dramatic transformation and is superb for just a spring and shock upgrade. Great combo indeed. But unfortunately i am only able to drive with a small amount of fuel in the tank and no rear passengers, as this basically causes the rear end to sag even more, putting too much pressure on the shocks and experiencing driveline vibration. Spoke to Whiteline direct and they were shocked. They said that this is not at all right and would send a new set of rear springs and told me to speak to Car Torque and let them know of this problem. Even the mob at Car Torque freaked out and said that this was not right and that the rear should not be sitting that low.
Anyway, hope to get things fixed soon and then maybe look at some Whiteline sway bars to complement the suspension package.

Attachments:
File comment: Stock Coil vs Whiteline Coil
Springs.jpg
Springs.jpg [ 52.2 KiB | Viewed 103 times ]
File comment: After
After.jpg
After.jpg [ 52.57 KiB | Viewed 123 times ]
File comment: Before
Before.jpg
Before.jpg [ 56.84 KiB | Viewed 120 times ]

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

excellent to hear mate

whiteline really know their s**t dont they. and do the swaybars... you know you want to!! :P

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:10 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghiaaaaa!

VIC, Australia

I had the wrong front springs sent to me, they seem a bit useless at sending stuff out :x

and yeah, go the swaybars :wink:

Whiteline'd

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

actually, now you mention it, they sent me the wrong swaybar bushes.

but they are good at designing the systems in the first place, and they are good at replacing s**t if they got it wrong first time round! :lol:

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Falcon XR6

NSW, Australia

EB92 wrote:
Hey FowlerJ,
I'm assuming that you are doing the suspension work on
your EB. As such, I'll pass on what I have learned from
doing my car, an EB also.

- I chose King "Low" springs. These drop the car
approximately 35mm lower than standard. "Super Low"
springs will drop the car approximately 55mm.
These figures were confirmed to me by email from King Springs.
I'm sure that if you ask other manufacturers, they should give
you some figures.

- I also put in new shocks all round and a shim type camber kit
on the front end. I used KYB shocks at the front and Monroe
GT gas on the rear. The camber kit is a Nolathane type.
I understand that shortened shocks are required for super low,
not low.

- I chose the "Low" springs for performance, practicality, and
insurance.

- The install was done by a mechanic mate of mine, with me
assisting. Took 4 hrs all up. Pretty straight forward, but the
right tools are needed.

- I got a wheel alignment straight after the install to keep the
front end tidy and save undue wear on the tyres.

- All up, it was well worth the $$ and the car is a dream in the
corners.........!!!

Best of luck.

Thanks mate! That reply was exactly what I was after!

I have gone with the Low springs - for pretty much the reasons you gave there....I think it'll just reduce headaches in the long run at least!

These springs are Selby brand......I did ask about Whitlines and he said he's see what he could do.....so I was slightly disappointed with the Selby's - but if you Google Selbys it opens to a Whiteline Suspension page........interesting! :P

I've also got myself a mechanic friend who can install them for me so hopefully within the week I'll be looking good!

1997 EL Falcon XR6 Sedan
Cold Air Intake | Sequential Scoop | Pacemaker 4480 & 2.5" Exhaust

1976 XB Falcon 500 Wagon
Sherwood Green | 3spd/250CI | Hurricane Extractors + Custom Twin 2" Exhaust | Running Whitewalls on a 2.5" Drop

Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

yeah, whiteline bought out selbys springs back in the 90s i think

Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Falcon XR6

NSW, Australia

nicco wrote:
yeah, whiteline bought out selbys springs back in the 90s i think

Ah ok no worries then....hopefully it'll all be good!

1997 EL Falcon XR6 Sedan
Cold Air Intake | Sequential Scoop | Pacemaker 4480 & 2.5" Exhaust

1976 XB Falcon 500 Wagon
Sherwood Green | 3spd/250CI | Hurricane Extractors + Custom Twin 2" Exhaust | Running Whitewalls on a 2.5" Drop

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2