Fordmods Logo

FG xr6 knock under acceleration 

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: FG xr6 knock under acceleration
Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:24 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford FG XR6

SA, Australia

My 2009 fg xr6 occassionally has a knock under acceleration that feels like its from roughly under the drivers seat. I had a vibration at idle from roughly the same spot (rear transmount to exhaust bracket area) with the air con on. When it was serviced last i mentioned it to the dealer of which they have all but sorted it. It does however have this knock from roughly the same area under gentle acceleration. I have had it back to them and they say they can see nothing wrong. Of course when i took them for a ride to try and reproduce the noise it would not do it. Only to drive away and have it do it a few more times. Any ideas? May be from further back eg rear cradle area. It is so random that when it happens you dont get a good chance to listen to it. I would like to get it sorted before warranty runs out and i get stuck with it.

Post subject: Re: FG xr6 knock under acceleration
Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

diff cradle bush.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

i actually get a similar sort of noise. sounds like its coming from under the drivers seat or just in front of it (almost as if its the dash). seems to do it when im in drive and got my foot on the brake, like if im waiting at traffic lights. goes away if its in park or as soon as the revs pick up when i take off again. ford cant find anything, been doing my head in for months now.....

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

Benny D wrote:
diff cradle bush.

Any reason that you say this? Have you experienced it? Was it more noticable under gentle acceleration?

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

nitrofgxr6 wrote:
Benny D wrote:
diff cradle bush.

Any reason that you say this? Have you experienced it? Was it more noticable under gentle acceleration?

its probly the most common problem thru all B series and FGs.
with the bush shagged it allowes the diff cradle to move indipendantly from the car so when you say go, it knocks the cradil back a bit.
should be really obvious when coasting in a gear and slightly acceleraing and backing off and accelerating again.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

Benny D wrote:
nitrofgxr6 wrote:
Benny D wrote:
diff cradle bush.

its probly the most common problem thru all B series and FGs.
with the bush shagged it allowes the diff cradle to move indipendantly from the car so when you say go, it knocks the cradil back a bit.
should be really obvious when coasting in a gear and slightly acceleraing and backing off and accelerating again.

Does not do it when coasting and then slightly off and on throttle. Only occassionally when gentle take off from lights. Not a sound if you punch it from a standing start.

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: FG falcon XT

VIC, Australia

Hi All im new to fordmods :) 8-) and my FG falcon XT does this nearly every time I take off from the lights under lite acceleration so had Furntree gully ford go rite over it and they cant find the cause.
I hope some one finds the cause as it is quite a load knock or thump under the car and doesn't sound normal :shock: :x .

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

fgfalcon wrote:
Hi All im new to fordmods :) 8-) and my FG falcon XT does this nearly every time I take off from the lights under lite acceleration so had Furntree gully ford go rite over it and they cant find the cause.
I hope some one finds the cause as it is quite a load knock or thump under the car and doesn't sound normal :shock: :x .

Glad im not the only one, its driving me frigging nuts, car has only done 25000kms and has prob been doing it since about 17000kms.

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:07 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

Has anyone had this noise inspected by someone independent other than a ford dealer eg pedders or something? Thinking about getting a differnet set of eyes looking at it.

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

Have made a booking at local pedders store to see if it can be found. Will see what the outcome is.

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2010 Nitro Blue FG

VIC, Australia

Nitrofgxr6,

Most likley as previously mentioned its the diff cradle bush. I had mine replaced under warranty as it was split and the problem disappeared.

fgfalcon,

Do you have the 5 speed auto? its a known problem that there is a hard "shunt"/ "knock" when changing from 2nd to 3rd in the 5 speeds. I took mine back to ford and they actually said, its just built that way and is quite common!!

Other possible cause is the exhause smacking underneath the transmission housing, mine was (aftermarket) ha it heated up and bent down slightly and no more bang.

cheers

Andrew

The boogieman checks under his bed for chuck norris

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

andrew, have the zf 6 speed mate. nice transmission to drive with too. will check the exhaust clearance on the transmission housing this up coming weekend, could be a possibillity as it is after market

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:49 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

Pedders found nothing to be worn, they did however point out how on the 5 speed autos where the rear trans mount is mounted to trans, it is held by 2 pissy little studs with nuts on them. They cranked these nuts up as tight as possible and so far no noise. Coincidence or not we shall see. Diff cradle bush was fine. After only 26000kms i should hope so.

Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:16 am 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

Well noise is still there, it did stop for a while after pedders messed with the trans mount but now its back. Looks like it is somehow related to this. Seems that ford have done something on the cheap again and made a problem in an otherwise nice car. It also seems im not the only one having this problem. May have to look at a better way of supporting trans at rear.

Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

nitrofgxr6 wrote:
Seems that ford have done something on the cheap again and made a problem in an otherwise nice car.

they have been doing this since 1998 (end of E series). :lol: :lol: :roll:

230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next