Fordmods Logo

Firewall and pedal box reinforcement question 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: Firewall and pedal box reinforcement question
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 771

Joined: 20th Nov 2005

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

I am in the process of making a plate to strengthen the firewall for the clutch on my T5. I also want to strengthen the clutch pedal box. I have done a lot of searching and just have a final couple of questions.

I have made the plate up for the firewall using Troymans template. He recommends screwing it to the firewall. Is this required or can I just silicone it on?

My pedal box appears to have been modified. Everyone recommends welding, mine has had a brace bolted across the top. Basicay from the top of the clutch bracket to the top of the brake bracket. It has been well done, my question, is it a good method of preventing flex or should I weld around the corners as well?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Firewall and pedal box reinforcement question
Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:14 am 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

you can just silicon or sikaflex it there.
once the cable is on, it will hold it against the firewall anyway.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Firewall and pedal box reinforcement question
Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:45 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 771

Joined: 20th Nov 2005

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

Excellent. I thought that might be the case, great write up by the way, very helpful.

What are your thoughts on my pedal box mOd?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Firewall and pedal box reinforcement question
Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:16 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2751

Joined: 22nd Jan 2009

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

Location: Geeelong
VIC, Australia

TUF250 wrote:
I am in the process of making a plate to strengthen the firewall for the clutch on my T5. I also want to strengthen the clutch pedal box. I have done a lot of searching and just have a final couple of questions.

I have made the plate up for the firewall using Troymans template. He recommends screwing it to the firewall. Is this required or can I just silicone it on?


think i used pop rivets? ... the plate must be fixed solid ie not move.

TUF250 wrote:
My pedal box appears to have been modified. Everyone recommends welding, mine has had a brace bolted across the top. Basicay from the top of the clutch bracket to the top of the brake bracket. It has been well done, my question, is it a good method of preventing flex or should I weld around the corners as well?



put up a pic so all can see what you mean
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Firewall and pedal box reinforcement question
Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 771

Joined: 20th Nov 2005

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

I will,next time I get out there to work on it I will get a photo to put up.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Firewall and pedal box reinforcement question
Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 771

Joined: 20th Nov 2005

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

Here is some pics. Not very clear as it was hard to get a good shot under the dash. The plate that you can see (the one with surface rust) is bolted on the top of the clutch bracket (the one to the furthest left hand side of the pedal box). This goes straight across to the top of the bracket above the brake pedal. It seems very soled.

Will this be enough to stop likely pedal box twisting and failure?

Image

Image
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Firewall and pedal box reinforcement question
Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:58 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2751

Joined: 22nd Jan 2009

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

Location: Geeelong
VIC, Australia

TUF250 wrote:
Here is some pics. Not very clear as it was hard to get a good shot under the dash. The plate that you can see (the one with surface rust) is bolted on the top of the clutch bracket (the one to the furthest left hand side of the pedal box). This goes straight across to the top of the bracket above the brake pedal. It seems very soled.

Will this be enough to stop likely pedal box twisting and failure?

Image



doubt it as it's where the clutch pedal pin mounts that IS the problem area .... but 'may' help :roll: there is only a thin piece of metal reinforcement
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Firewall and pedal box reinforcement question
Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 28

Posts: 1

Joined: 14th Mar 2017

Ride: Eb series 2 wagon ef xr6 manual

Location: Loxton
SA, Australia

does anyone know where I can find the mod template im doing a eb wagon 5 speed conversion and want to reinforce it before I do the conversion. cheers....
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Firewall and pedal box reinforcement question
Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:14 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2751

Joined: 22nd Jan 2009

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

Location: Geeelong
VIC, Australia

Burnzy wrote:
does anyone know where I can find the mod template as im doing a eb wagon 5 speed conversion and want to reinforce it before I do the conversion. cheers....



for which part are you talking about ?

the firewall

or

pedal box [clutch pin] ?

they are the two known area's that break/rip apart.
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:23 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names