Fordmods Logo

Ford eb tiptronic/paddle shift? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Ford eb tiptronic/paddle shift?
Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

have a read of this thread from here on:
ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/btr-4-speed-auto-transmission-controller-t21574-165.html?hilit=btr
i did some research and made a basic analog manual controller, but also made the code for a pic controller to accept an input from a button or paddle to shift up or down fully manual.

in a couple of months ill be in the position to get stuck into this again and finally make it lol

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:34 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 99 au ute

WA, Australia

misk_one wrote:
have a read of this thread from here on:
ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/btr-4-speed-auto-transmission-controller-t21574-165.html?hilit=btr
i did some research and made a basic analog manual controller, but also made the code for a pic controller to accept an input from a button or paddle to shift up or down fully manual.

in a couple of months ill be in the position to get stuck into this again and finally make it lol

Iv read that thread so many times! I'm not scared of the idea to have manualized auto, it's just that I won't use it. But iv gotta tell you. Your the reason I'm doing this project. Also I'm starting to figure out the code so maybe this weekend I MIGHT have a mockup.

Au series 1 ute. T5 manual, 2.5" redback zorst, Xtreme HD clutch

Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Haha shucks, thanks mate, that really means alot to me.
I put in alot of work for all that but i cant work due to a back injury, so i fill my days with learning s**t and doing things that are a bit left of centre so to speak.

If i can inspire someone or give them some information that gets them thinking then we can all benefit from sharing things like this.

If you need a hand with the code let me know, sometimes it takes the smallest input from another person to solve a problem.

I also must say that the reason i started looking into all of this was from learning from a guy called steve from wa and is on the boostedfalcon forum and made a manual controller that works off the shifter

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:27 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

misk_one wrote:
Haha shucks, thanks mate, that really means alot to me.
I put in alot of work for all that but i cant work due to a back injury, so i fill my days with learning s**t and doing things that are a bit left of centre so to speak.

If i can inspire someone or give them some information that gets them thinking then we can all benefit from sharing things like this.

If you need a hand with the code let me know, sometimes it takes the smallest input from another person to solve a problem.

I also must say that the reason i started looking into all of this was from learning from a guy called steve from wa and is on the boostedfalcon forum and made a manual controller that works off the shifter

haha, no problems. i have to goto jaycar to get some misc parts so hopefully it works! if it does i could always send you the code to adapt your needs.

arduino's are really cheap on ebay (arduino mega= $20, arduino uno= $15) but the code is so different!

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:53 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

well iv finally got the code working with the arduino, 2 tactile buttons and 4 leds. the next step is to add a fail-safe and a serial print-out for a LCD screen. I'm going to try to get it installed, iv said that before but this time im ready to do it! my electronics are pretty good with things like this so i just hope this idea works if it doesn't maybe I'll go manualized paddle-shift, until then I'm broke and tired!

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 94 NCII Fairlane

QLD, Australia

There was a company in the late 90's that fitted these. It was mounted abounded the window wiper switch in the EBs. Put the box in power, & you had manual flappy paddle.

I have the street machine magazine somewhere. I used I have it on my desk all the time. Then I moved, & haven't found it since. I will stumble across it cleaning one day...

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:58 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

I lose all my stuff when I clean! It's like everything of mine is organised when messy. To be honest I put the project on the back burners. When the rc "flying season" starts to die down I'll get back onto it.

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AC Cobra

QLD, Australia

Hi there all.

I am an electronics engineer (hardware, firmware, PCB design, through to manufacturing), with a very keen interest in making a paddle shift controller for the BTR95LE 4 speed Auto.

My 'toy' is a 302w based AC cobra replica, running a BTR95LE. I've got trickflow heads, cam and streetheat intakes on it. I'm running an Autronic SM4 for the ECU, and a standard EB TCU to control the auto. 380HP in 1120kg goes nicely ....

I've reverse engineered most of the BTR controller before, and extracted out the key parts in controlling the S1/S2 solenoids, plus the variable pressure one.

Before I go further and commit my design to a PCB and firmware / PC software, I thought I'd see where you had got to with your designs.

misk_one - Have you got your controller up and running ?

If not, do you need a hand to take it from prototype into production ?

Happy to chat further,

Cheers

302w_Cobra

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:45 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 94 NCII Fairlane

QLD, Australia

OOOOOOOOOHH! This would be nice!

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:42 am 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

My controller was basically an arduino with 4 voltage dividers. With a ubec supplying a constant voltage it could switch gears without interference. With this setup I could use the stock ecu (I think it had the tcm inbuilt in the series 2 eb) to change gears smoothly. The other option was to use s1/s2 shift solenoids and have it fully manualized. Of your handy with basic code and electronics you'll have it running within a day

Mine never left the bench! Now I have a manual...... I always wish I set it up.

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

If you want paddle shift, and you can run an AU ECU why dont you try and do ESS.

The ESS Bin's are available, and the transmissions (although they were modified) arent that different from the EF/EL V8 Transmissions. I believe changing an AU Gearbox to an EF or EL valve body is most of the hard work done.

The ESS TS50's had "Paddle shift" - if you like, built into the code for the ECU. You get the best of everything this way.

Im going about it the slow way in my E36 - Im getting the DOL data working first, then I want to change to an ESS BIN to see how I go.

Nigel

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2