Fordmods Logo

Ford Territory front end shimmy 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Ford Territory front end shimmy
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Territory SX TX

QLD, Australia

Hi guys, My 05 TX Territory developed one hell of a wobble in the front end in december and on a little inspector gadget work, I surmised that the front right lower ball joint was shagged. luckily for me my car hadnt had its compulsory recall done for the control arm bushes so both control arms were changed for new ones this morning which includes the ball joints.
So I got the car back at lunch time and took it for a run and it still has a shimmy in the front end which you feel in the steering wheel mostly and is at its worst at about 80kph, its not shaking out of my hands but it is enough to aggravate. What I am wondering is, is there likely to be something else wrong or do the new control arms and associated bushes and joints need time to bed in? I have swapped the front tyres with the spare and it makes no difference and also I cannot see anything loose. I even looked at the t/shaft centre bairing and all the rear and suspension bits I could reach too and wobble. (I did notice that the bolt through the subframe into the diff housing is very very high in relation to the cast boss around it where the bolt goes through but dont think this affects the front or is indeed a fault).

Post subject: Re: Ford Territory front end shimmy
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:47 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA XR6 NA

VIC, Australia

i think you are best off taking it for a wheel allingment as that can be an issue with them due to ride height and they can even take a closer look from under neath as well i might just be that or you could even just make sure the sub frame bolts are still tight

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

If this is a 4WD it could more than likely be the front Suspension Bushes. There are 3 of them.
2 x SX 4B424 A $69.70 each and the other bush SX 3A443 A $106.30.

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Bloody car... So we went for a drive this evening and that bloody shake is back. It does it at 80 ks, and coming down from 100ks with the foot on the brake but much more violently than just a warped set of discs. Annoying as s**t. Wont be buying another Territory if this keeps up (ie s**t breaking all the time in a car that does maybe 80ks a bloody week). There was also a nasty clunk under the drivers seat going over some railway tracks (was not something on the road) and theres always a clunk or a crak in the back end too. I wish I had my EB...

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Ok discovered the source of the shimmy in the front end. Turns out its a seized piston in the drivers side front caliper that has been holding the pads against the rotor and causing the disc to warp and then shake the s**t out of the car. Found this after a trip into town and getting a stronger and stronger welding smell from that wheel and having the brake dragging so hard it needed 1/4 throttle or better to make the car move. So, right now I need a drivers front caliper in good order from a SX Territory or an AU Falcon (twin piston) in Townsville in a hurry.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]