Fordmods Logo

Full set springs and shocks EL 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Full set springs and shocks EL
Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:28 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, I've got an EL Fairmont Ghia and I've got a full set of new shocks and springs I'm planning on doing soon, has anyone got any tips on how to do this work, will be my first time.

I've got spring compressors and tools, so we're all sorted out there. I've also ogt a Max Ellery manual, but its not that good to be honest, a little vague here and there.

How did you guys do it?

Thanks much.

Post subject: Re: Full set springs and shocks EL
Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU fairmont ghia

ACT, Australia

I did it my first time with max Ellery manual, took couple of goes to get the springs out but persistence pays off, only thing I can recommend is check you work twice and use new pins for the ball joint nuts

AU FAIRMONT GHIA: 5.0 Dealer ordered SVO mods ( seeking clarification ATM), tickford suspension.

Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:47 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

EFNA wrote:
I did it my first time with max Ellery manual, took couple of goes to get the springs out but persistence pays off, only thing I can recommend is check you work twice and use new pins for the ball joint nuts

With split pins, where can I buy a kit with all different sizes?

Also with getting the ball joints out, buy a removal tool or just a big-a** hammer and smack them out?

Also would it be worth getting the bushes done while I have everything apart? I've noticed the top bushes on the front shocks are cracked, I just want standard rubber, or something equally as comfortable. No super handling rough as a hairy a** Whiteline bushes or something.

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

The top bushes normally come with the shocks.

You only need to lift the UCA off the upper balljoint. Just hit the the UCA up with a hammer firmly.

Perhaps a hardware store will have split pins? I have bought blister packs of them from parts shops, not big packs though.

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU fairmont ghia

ACT, Australia

Mitre 10 is where I got my pins from, cost around 5 bucks for a small pack.

AU FAIRMONT GHIA: 5.0 Dealer ordered SVO mods ( seeking clarification ATM), tickford suspension.

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:54 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: el fairmont

QLD, Australia

Super cheap sell all the pin sizes on those racks with the bolts & screws ,i find it easy to remove the upper ball joint, steering tie rod end ,brake caliper "move it to the front & cable tie it to the radius rod ,when removing the top ball joint don't bash with a hammer it makes a big mess of the upper arm as the bit you need to hit is in the middle & is very easy to hit the edge of the guard ,use a crow bar between the upper arm & upright riggle up & down a few times while lifting disc assy with left arm or put a jack under to take the weight off & it will pop (ps put grease on ball joint shaft when assembling stops them jamming in ) remove sway bar link & lower strut bolt ,remove the three nuts of the top of the struts ,remove the jack from under lower ball joint put the crow bar over the radius rod & under the cross member push down with your foot & pull out the strut make sure to remove the abs cable if you have it ( important make sure you have the strut hats in the same position on the new ones as they were on the old ones or the bottom mount will not line up.

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

SLO247 wrote:
The top bushes normally come with the shocks.

You only need to lift the UCA off the upper balljoint. Just hit the the UCA up with a hammer firmly.

Perhaps a hardware store will have split pins? I have bought blister packs of them from parts shops, not big packs though.

HUH?? - I just undo the 2 nuts each holding the top arm hinges to the body and then swing the top arm around as necessay - f&%k releasing the ball joint!!! (have only changed front springs and shocks on ED and EF falcons about 5 times).

It IS worth while releasing the sway bar on both sides - ie. the nuts off the links under the lower arms (don't know if the manual says anything about that? ) - that allows the lower arm on each side to move more freely.

And be careful about supporting the spindle arm - it will try to flop about and you can end up giving the brake line a nasty stretch if ur not careful - use wire or cord to help control it - and as has been said too: be careful of the ABS cable if you have it.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 94 NC II FAIRLANE

NSW, Australia

i own an nc lane my stepfather owned a series three au falcon sr which was lowered. wen he sold it i got the suspension setup koni reds and ssl king springs which i put in one weekend not too hard. backs are easy, i also suggest doing watts link bushes while your under there there also easy and make the car much more stable. front is not too bad just take your time, two people make it so much easier on the front. i also suggest using urathane bushes i use superpro as a preference but most brands are fine. urathane makes the car feel tighter and more planted, i think so anyway some may disagree with me.

have fun mate!!!

If life was easy we would all be living

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]