Fordmods Logo

Gearbox rebuilt now it has problems 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Gearbox rebuilt now it has problems
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH

NT, Australia

I got the gearbox in my XH ute rebuilt in September after one of the bearings died. I got it done at a mechanics cause I can't get at it myself (recently moved house) and they put a full rebuild kit in and replaced a clutch release bearing. I was a bit confused as to the release bearing replacement because the clutch was replaced only in March with a heavy-duty one and the associated bearings were apparently changed too.

Anyway, now I am starting to get this rattle noise from the gearbox area and it doesn't change when the clutch it in. I also find it hard to get a smooth shift into 1st sometimes (from neutral or down from 2nd). Combined with this is an occasional stumble that occurs mostly when I accelerate out of corners. Turn the corner, accelerate, it bogs down, let the foot off, accelerate again and it is ok. It is worse the lower the revs are, so if I take a corner in 3rd it is noticably worse than if I take the same corner in 2nd. The stumble is gradually getting worse.

I'm not sure if the noise is coming from the cat, as it is the factory cat and is quite old, or if it is coming from the gearbox. I don't know if the rattle and stumbling is because of a blocked or damaged cat and the shifting is a separate issue or they are all related.

If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them, I plan to take the ute back to the shop for their opinion but Fordmods always has a few good ideas to help narrow it down.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Gearbox rebuilt now it has problems
Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Try adjusting the clutch cable...but just a small amount...see how the shift quality goes then.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]