Fordmods Logo

getting my gearbox replaced finally - what parts do i need 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: getting my gearbox replaced finally - what parts do i need
Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1997 EL Ford Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

ok so i finally got the cash together to get my gearbox replaced in my 97 EL ghia. I bought a second hand box from a forum member a month ago which has been sitting at my mechanics workshop waiting for me to have the dough to get it in, which i finally do!

Its from a 94 falcon and it has a dipstick (s**t). What other parts do i need to source for the replacement? Im on the hunt for a torque converter as we speak, but do i need to change speedo gear or anything else to suit the el ghia?

PS anyone know a good place to get a torque converter in brisbane?

Post subject: Re: getting my gearbox replaced finally - what parts do i need
Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

if you have the sipstik itself then use it on the gearbox. they are handy little buggers.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Benny D wrote:
if you have the sipstik itself then use it on the gearbox. they are handy little buggers.

yeh i meant to say "s**t yeh". Im stoaked to have one. but do i need to chnage over the speedo sender or anything? as the box came out of a falcon and the ghia has a different diff ratio. Or do i have it all wrong?

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

i dunno. have a look at the diff to see if they are different ratios. if not will be all good.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

while both boxes are out swap the speedo gears just to be sure they are the same as it is alot easier to do while out of the car, altho it can be changed with the box in the car its a little bit of a f**k around

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Why do you need another Torque convertor? Why can't you use your current one? How many km on the new box?

As bry40l said, change over you speedo gear while the box is out, the Ghia will be fitted with a 3:45 LSD and the GLi would have had a 3:08 diff, so if you use the sent currently in the new box the speedo will be out.

Keep the dipstick as it will be worth is as you will be able to check your trans fluid level whenever you want. If you are using stock exhaust and heatshield, you might need to mod the heatshield for the dipstick if I remember rightly or is that the AU shiled :? or grab a EF one.

Probably a good idea to get the box flushed and a new filter kit fitted and check the rear oil seal. Also flush your cooler lines and fit a Trans cooler if you don't have one.

Good idea to change you rear main oil seal on your engine while the box is out, for the sake of $10.00 it's good insurance. Nothing worse than doing the box and then 6 weeks later the seal starts leaking.

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

I'm doing the converter as well because of suspisions it is on the way out (vibrations at lockup). I also figure it's worth putting in a reco one while the box is out for peace of mind and to keep further maintenance costs down. The new box has 230,000kms on it (same as my car), has been serviced very regularly, and the previous owner of it had it for 10 years prior.

It is being serviced with a new kit and flushed as well. Mt car runs pretty cool as is so I'm not too worried about getting a separate cooler as long as it's serviced regularly.

With the speedo gear, should I be getting a new one, or just swapping them over from original box to the new one?

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

this is a video of another bloke changing it on an el while the box is in the car:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J69R0Uu_cNM

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yea good point chnge the speedo gear while both boxes are out.
And SWC is dead right! for the sake of a few bux take the flywheel off and change the rear main seal.

230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Benny D wrote:
yea good point chnge the speedo gear while both boxes are out.
And SWC is dead right! for the sake of a few bux take the flywheel off and change the rear main seal.

yep also change the rear main seal as it will be an a** hole to do if it blows out a few months after you put the box in and it has to come out again

BF XR6

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:32 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

ok rear main seal on list to do. I think its leaking anyway. I have lost about 1L of oil each time i do a servoce and have noticed a slick on the bell housing. Sound about right?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]