Fordmods Logo

GLI diff shims fit aftermarket LSD? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: GLI diff shims fit aftermarket LSD?
Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 94 tickford enhanced xg ute

TAS, Australia

hi, i currently drive a XG XR6 ute and i have a H/D high performance LSD in it but it seems to be worn out.....i.e it only LS's when i drop a skid at 3000+ rpm.....used to LS at 1200rpm no worries.....
im going to safly assume that the shims in the centre are worn out and just need replacing, so coming to my question....
will the shims out of a standard GLI falcon with single spin diff centre (internal shims) fit the inside of an LSD center? the reason i ask is because i have the single diff centre shims in the shed and if they fit, would save me time and money on ordering some online. thanks in advance for any replies.

macca

Post subject: Re: GLI diff shims fit aftermarket LSD?
Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:17 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Single spinner or open wheel diff centres don't have preload shims - only the spacers for the centre location and bearing preload. LSD centres do have shims for the cone preload - I'd say both shims and cones are worn.
Probably the only way to know if the diff is operating near spec is to fit a torque wrench to one of the axles and measure break away torque.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Post subject: Re: GLI diff shims fit aftermarket LSD?
Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:18 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 94 tickford enhanced xg ute

TAS, Australia

hey, internet has been playing up so here is and update.
my assumption was right. i pulled the LSD out and the 2 spacers or shimms behind the 2 main gears were as flimsy as foil :roll: .
i pulled 2 shims or spacers out of an EA diff centre and they are exactly the same (not flimsy as foil) and i have replace the worn ones with the EA ones. the cone shimms looked pretty good still.
diff has been put back in ute and i took it for a test drive......well.......i havnt had it side ways so damed easy :twisted: lmao..... loving it. thanks any way for the info.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]