Handbrake adjustment 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Handbrake adjustment
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:01 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1997 Ford EL 4.0 OHC

NSW, Australia

Hi there,

I am fairly new to the forums and I cant seem to find something about adjusting the handbrakes is there any manual or documentations on how to do this. I have replaced the back break pads but still struggle to find a way to adjust the handbrake. Any suggestions.

Post subject: Re: Handbrake adjustment
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

Mm....
Well the "correct" way to adjust the hand brake in these are as follows.
Pull back the handbrake cover in the cabin, since his if a ef el there will be a 10mm nut(deep drive socket is youre friend) you have to undo this a fair way so the handbrake feels crap (leave the handbrake off now) go to the back wheels and loosen the wheels jack the a** of the car up and remove wheels. Now on the face of the drum where the studs are there should be a rubber plug or if not just a hole, turn the rotor so the hole is at the bottom (from memory) grab a torch and look inside, you should see a adjuster for the handbrake shoes, like one for drum brakes, you want to use a flat head screwdriver and do it up a few clicks the. Spin the rotor side to side, and keep adjusting a little at a time you just feel the pads starting to grip the rotor, this is when you stop adjusting or it will squeal hard. Do the same to the other wheel.
From here I like to leave the wheels off and go inside and adjust the cable back down until I get a nice handbrake 4clicks or so, go back to the wheels and make sure that with the handbrake off the pads arnt grabbing from over adjusting the cable. If so back off the cable then back off the pads then do up he cable again.
Then wheels on and you're done.
If they are squealing it's because they are over adjusted and just spraying brake cleaner in there isnt gonna help.
If you really wanted a perfect Handbrake you'd slacken the cable rip rear wheels off, tale off the calipers and the. The rotors, now your can clean the handbrake parts down properly with brale cleaner and inspect the pads, you can even linnish the handbrake pads with some sandpaper to give a nice gripy surface. And clean the inside of the rotor aswell.

Last edited by Pakrat on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]