Harder suspension improvee handling 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Harder suspension improvee handling
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lancer Coupe

VIC, Australia

Hey guys,

does harder suspension improve handling, or what can be changed that will. I am sorta sick of the floating feel of the EA. I dont like the effect of the car feeling like its about to roll on a quick corner.

Cheers

Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

It will improve your handling, but the harder you go, the rougher the ride, has to be a compromise there somewhere, unless you like getting your fillings shaken out. :D

Post subject: Re: Harder suspension improvee handling
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

The DMac wrote:
Hey guys,

does harder suspension improve handling, or what can be changed that will. I am sorta sick of the floating feel of the EA. I dont like the effect of the car feeling like its about to roll on a quick corner.

Cheers

yeh its a shocking feeling, i feel like my car is gonna capsize every time i take a corner slightly hard

Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

there are lots of different ways to improve ur handling, biggest one can be just having good tyers and pressures, then lowring ur car will help with its center of gravity, stiffering ur car will help as long as u dont go to stiff as then the wheels can bounce of the road which then u break traction.
have a camber kit fittered more positive camber will help keep the car steer better but will use ur tyers more.
stablizer bars do help alot as well to reduce body roll and keep the tyers on the road more. few things to look at

Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

Just lowered the fbt, new bilstein susp; highly reccomended - softer n much more comfy than stock fbt, handles better and has almost no body roll in comparison.
My stock susp was awesome for stock, but im more than happy with my upgrade, will now use bilstein..

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

these stabilizer bars...are they the things that you see in little two litre sport cars, like my brothers SP20 has a red bar connecting the tops of the two front struts and it goes over the engine. Do they make them for Falcons, how much do you reckon they would be. The car also has a camber kit on it already and also, i like a rough ride cos it makes it feel more race like and sporty.

Cheers

Posted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

That's a strut brace.

Stabiliser bars are under the car connecting left to right ... reduce body roll ... but it's not the only part that cures it.

To set you suspension up for better handling you will need to replace shocks/springs ... add sway bars ... camber/caster kits ... nolathane bushes ... etc.

For excellent information go to www.whiteline.com.au

If you want to keep standard height ... just replace your shocks with a heavy duty gas shock ... get better rubber and a good alignment.

It depends what you really want ... and how much you want to spend ... as some suspension set ups can get costly.

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Sat May 21, 2005 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

If you like a siff ride ... lower the car (not too much though ... otherwise you will have issues with driveways and the like).

If the current shocks are fine you won't need to replace them ... but for better control and handling it is advised to replace your shocks with heavy duty items.

No with sway (stabiliser) bars .... I am used to FWD cars and putting a larger rear bar one (reducing understeer and giving better turn-in) ... with RWD cars I think it is the otherway around .... especially after lowering it (less body roll due to lowering could increase the chance of oversteer). There's usually the option of increasing the rear sway bar along with a larger front sway bar as well ... giving better handling ... without uncontrollable oversteer (especially in the wet).

Camber kits help when it comes to alignment and life of your tyres ... also aids in handling as well ... as it increases the contact patch on your outer tyre when REALLY cornering (negative camber = GOOOOOD).

Nolathane bushes reduce squirming in your suspension and gives a tighter feel ... as it doesn't give as much as the standard rubber bushes which perish over time and move more and more.

For starters though I recommend replace your standard shocks and springs for heavy duty items ... lowered as well. Sway bars are easily add on later for better performance.

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

how much are them adjustable shockers if anyone knows.

Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]