Fordmods Logo

help car may be dying(mainly trans and possibly cooljng sys) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: help car may be dying(mainly trans and possibly cooljng sys)
Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hi, im having few problems that have started havoc today for me and I would like to get some ideas of what may of happened to cause it and how to fix it.
So first of th simplest one I think is my coolant.
After driving for around 40 mins I had let the car rest for about 5 and had a look at the coolant level and it was showing just a tiny bit in the reserve so I thought I would add some but as I undo the cap half a turn to realese the pressure I had a surge of brown coolantcome out in excess and then also fill it up.
Since I had the car for just under a year (bought at over 250000) I had only added mixed coolant at 50/50 when it had needed it after doing a basic flush once I got the car.
My question is where did it come from and how to get ride of it all so I can have good coolant in it again cause it had caused my car to overheat after a minute of driving after I put the cap back on.

Post subject: Re: help car may be dying(mainly trans and possibly cooljng sys)
Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:13 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

The main problem at the moment is that at the start of the day I was able to drive the car.
Drove down to the shops less then 5 mins away then when I drove out of the shops to pick up a friend.
As the car shifted from first to second it kind of slipped/dropped out of the gears completely which left me revving the engine. I waited a sec then it shifted back into first without a problem and no problems occurred for the next km till I had to stop at the traffics lights when it didnt want to shift into first. After a bit of waiting it did so.
Towards the end of twenty minutes driving to my destination it wouldn't care ifi was in gear driving whenever I slowed down past 40 it would usually drop out of gear and rev. Once I got back home it was so bad that it would drop out even if I was holding the same revs in the same gear even going around each corner.
It does this even in reverse.
This car is a au II fairmont wagon auto and 4.0L engine
Please help as it is nearly to the point where it jumps out of gear every few seconds but doesnt seem to do it when driving around speeds above 80ks

Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

The main problem at the moment is that at the start of the day I was able to drive the car.
Drove down to the shops less then 5 mins away then when I drove out of the shops to pick up a friend.
As the car shifted from first to second it kind of slipped/dropped out of the gears completely which left me revving the engine. I waited a sec then it shifted back into first without a problem and no problems occurred for the next km till I had to stop at the traffics lights when it didnt want to shift into first. After a bit of waiting it did so.
Towards the end of twenty minutes driving to my destination it wouldn't care ifi was in gear driving whenever I slowed down past 40 it would usually drop out of gear and rev. Once I got back home it was so bad that it would drop out even if I was holding the same revs in the same gear even going around each corner.
It does this even in reverse.
This car is a au II fairmont wagon auto and 4.0L engine
Please help as it is nearly to the point where it jumps out of gear every few seconds but doesnt seem to do it when driving around speeds above 80ks

Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:11 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

dont know about the coolant .... have you checked ya gearbox fluid level?

Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ea falcon

NSW, Australia

Sound's like you might have a busted trans cooler in your radiator..

EA falcon(S-Pac) AU engine and injector's, EL BBM conversion,K&N pod,EL ECU,T5 5speed,EL Streering rack, EL Brake system, Extractor's 2 1/2in high flow cat, through 2 1/2in mandrel bent pipe with Lukey Performance muffler

Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

The gearbox is full but with old oil but since having the car its always had a bit of trouble everynow and then shifting down into first when coming up to a set of lights

Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Busted trans cooler?
Would that mean you could end up mixing the coolant and trans fluid together

Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

maybe i should have asked if the muck from your radiator was oily, but i am assuming the 2 problems are linked, if your cooling system was clean before.

EA falcon(S-Pac) AU engine and injector's, EL BBM conversion,K&N pod,EL ECU,T5 5speed,EL Streering rack, EL Brake system, Extractor's 2 1/2in high flow cat, through 2 1/2in mandrel bent pipe with Lukey Performance muffler

Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:41 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

It was pretty oily that made me check the engine dipstick which is clean so because the trans now has coolant in it does that mean I need to get a new one as water makes the trans rust as far as I know

Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

if they have mixed, and you continued driving, it's not looking good for the transmission. If you replace it, i would recommend an external trans cooler.

Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Yep so driving for that 40 mins would not have saved it at all and will defiantly look into that.
So how much would you say all this could possibly end up costing me as I know im not going to be able to do the work myself

Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

You might just have to shop around as i have no idea about prices, i do everything myself. Start trying to source your own box New (reco) vs reliable second hand. Then play your local mechanics against each other for the cheapest install quote... But don't forget to fix the cooling system and install a external trans cooler to eliminate the one in the radiator.

Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:58 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

chickenmanic wrote:
The gearbox is full but with old oil but since having the car its always had a bit of trouble everynow and then shifting down into first when coming up to a set of lights

what color is the fluid??

Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Ive already started looking for second hand reco boxes but im also wondering if I should swap it for a manual conversion at the same time and whats the real benefit of getting the external cooler and were would it go

Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Well you wouldn't have this problem again with an Auto box, but get a decent size one to make sure it cools effectively. it would mount in front of the aircon condenser.. if you go manual you don't need one.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]