Fordmods Logo

Help Manual conversion!!!! Crankshaft hole is different? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Help Manual conversion!!!! Crankshaft hole is different?
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:13 am 
Fordmods Junkie

This is not a bearing he is trying to remove, its like a cover plate by the looks of it.

But I would say if he can get a welder he can try the slide hammer idea. all you need to make a simple slide hammer is a piece of 10mm round bar about 300mm long with a washer welded at 1 end. a piece of 50mm round bar about 80mm long with a hole in the guts to fit the 10mm bar through it. then with the weld the slide hammer to the plug your trying to remove.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:16 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Falcon Futura

QLD, Australia

Damn. This sounds pretty difficult.

Thanks for the advise!! :)

More reason I hate autos.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:38 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Even if you just try drilling a hole in it so you can get a bar in it.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:58 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

its a central guide for the convertor, it shouldn't be an interference fit, it should fit in quit nicely.
I guess thats what we get for aftermarket parts, that is, if its the correct type for the car.

It'll come out, unless its heat welded itself, either way.. its going to unseize from the crank.

hammer, drill, chisels, jimmy bars, welder, it'll come out.

If its that tight and hardened try a grinder on the side NEAR the crank, slice in a grove and lever it from there.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:29 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Krytox wrote:
its a central guide for the convertor, it shouldn't be an interference fit, it should fit in quit nicely.

Yeah I agree with you, I have got the feeling from EF_STOCKO that it is in there tight.

Krytox wrote:
It'll come out, unless its heat welded itself, either way.. its going to unseize from the crank.

hammer, drill, chisels, jimmy bars, welder, it'll come out.

Yeah just attack it, it should come loose. Maybe use a grinder and cut a slit accross the front big enough just for a large flat head screw driver to fit in there, and pop it out that way.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Yeah cheers guys. Well i will try drill and tap a bolt into it, and see if that has much luck. tomorrow or thurs night ill get time to do it :)

will advise ! cheers again guys!

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:28 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Let us know mate :)

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:31 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Phew!

Welded an old ratchet to the piece, and hammered the ratchet end and it popped out with ease :) :) Did the gearbox myself and aligned it up first go :) Beautiful. Just have to now finish the pedal box and fill her up with some oil, then figure out some wiring.

Thanks again guys. Im not overly cluey with all this and its my first conversion, i didnt exactly want to be drilling/welding through a crankshaft or something haha!!!!

Now, how to go about the wiring so that the starter motor engages??? Anyone know of any articles/docs/posts or anything?

Cheers guys.

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:30 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

EF_STOCKO wrote:
Phew!

Welded an old ratchet to the piece, and hammered the ratchet end and it popped out with ease :) :) Did the gearbox myself and aligned it up first go :) Beautiful. Just have to now finish the pedal box and fill her up with some oil, then figure out some wiring.

Thanks again guys. Im not overly cluey with all this and its my first conversion, i didnt exactly want to be drilling/welding through a crankshaft or something haha!!!!

Now, how to go about the wiring so that the starter motor engages??? Anyone know of any articles/docs/posts or anything?

Cheers guys.

good to hear you got it out..
you did remember to put the manual spigot bearing in before you fitted the box???

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:47 am 
Fordmods Junkie

well done mate, good to see you worked something out.

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:53 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
EF_STOCKO wrote:
Phew!

Cheers guys.

good to hear you got it out..
you did remember to put the manual spigot bearing in before you fitted the box???

Haha i can see how that could happen. But with all the hype about the spigot bearing and what not, i got one from repco for $8, greased her up, aligned the clutch and she fit first go with just me and the trolley jack :) Love it how the T5 is a piece of p!ss to lift compared to the auto.

Im reading up on this wiring thing now, is there any simple way to just make it so it starts, even if its in gear??? Whats all this about resistors and what not????

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Resistors are used to fool the AUTO Engine computer into thinking the AUTOBOX IS AT NORMAL TEMPERATURE and something else...

IE - You remove the AUTO and the computer goes and gets itself a little confused as to what it should be doing instead. I've managed to run mine without these resistors mind you. Recommend to make up the resister loom by using the plug off the old auto loom and putting the resisters in and your should end up with a plug with a few inches of sellotaped up wires out the back.

The other plug has the cables that run to the gearbox for REVERSE and NEUTRAL information. The computer will not allow the starter to operate if it is in any other state than NEUTRAL and the REVERSE switch is used for triggering reversing lights and little else.

I cannot remember if being in neutral closes or opens the circuit, but it's an easy one to check if you really want your car being able to operate the starter whilst in gear you can work that out for yourself.......

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2