High Pressure Power Steering Hose Ford AUII 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: High Pressure Power Steering Hose Ford AUII
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

QLD, Australia

Hi people,

I've posted a similar topic previously about these hoses.

Question for anyone :-

How often do these high pressure power steering hoses leak?

I've replaced mine about good 4 or so ago, I've noticed once again oil on the cement, jacked car up, placed support stands and crawled underneath to see where this mongrel oil was coming from.

Hmmmm, oil again on the bottom part of the alternator, outside of HP Hose looks moist as in oil coated, oil found across front frame and near sump case, front.

I take it the internal O Ring has s**t itself and time to get a new hose, again?

I'd like to get one of those hoses that don't have the internal o ring setup, last time I seen the price it was $220.00, too expensive.

Surely there must be someone local in Brisbane area that can make one up. I went to ENZD and another mob, they can make a hose but only with existing connections.

Anyone got any suggestions as to how to overcome this problem.

Post subject: Re: High Pressure Power Steering Hose Ford AUII
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

They do it all the time... Terrible idea... All from EF onwards have the same design...

I bout one off this mob for the turbo... Linked is the Au one but for your piece of mind...

http://www.ultimatepowersteering.com.au ... 9-98-9-02/

First one they sent me leaked from the crimp... Second one had swarf in the hole for the power steering switch... Third one's been a charm but...

Alternatively you can buy the nut off Ford... You measure down the new nut to the circlip... Mark the old nut the same distance... Then you circumcise the nut and the end falls off, you remove the circlip and the remainder of the nut... Clean it and the new nut just slides on and clips into place... If you cut the pipe but then you'll be up for a new hose...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

TimmyA,

Thanks mate, yes, what a terrible design fault.

Why couldn't they just design one that has only one "O" Ring at the front of the flared pipe that goes into the power steering pump.

Case of third time lucky hey!

Thanks for the link you provided, i'll check it out.

Cheers,
Peter

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:06 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

The ED design had the O ring on the front of the pipe... Trouble with this is once tightened, the hose doesn't swivel at the pump... Having the hose swivel at the back of the pump must have aided in assembly of the car, hence the redesign on the EF...

My ED has the AU motor with the AU pump and the ED hose does up in the back of the pump and is leak free... However doesn't swivel (who cares, doesn't leak)... The BF turbo hose was the same end as the ED hose... O ring on the front of the pipe...

Other thing you could do is to get and ED and AU hose... Keep the AU rack end and ED pump end... Make them for length and orientation and take them to Enzed or Pirtek and have them joined with a inline joiner... Surely a joiner is common place and would be an easy task...

This would have the same outcome...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

TimmyA,
Thanks for those tips, good to know, something that I will be looking at doing.

Off to the wreckers and see if I can get those fittings then make a new piece up. Surely Enzed or Pirtek can make them up. inline joiner would have to be common one would think.

Cheers,
Peter

Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

TimmyA,

Going to wreckers on Monday, before I go there, what year was the ED Ford? I was told by one wrecker they are getting hard to find / get.

I went for a drive this morning , did not check steering fluid, went to do a wide circle, then heard a noise from the power steering pump...got home, it was almost dry, topped it back up again.

Yet, I could not see any fluid coming out from behind the nut but oil there is near the front of sump, surely there would not be another location where steering fluid could be lost from?

Cheers, Peter

Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:38 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Pete,

ED was 93-94... But EA and EB would be good too... 88 thru 94...

It can only be lost from the pump or rack... Or if you have a power steering cooler in front of the condenser, it could be there too...

You can see all the hoses and connections on AU... so just start it up and have a look... You'll need someone to hold a bit of weight on the wheel to open the torsion switch in the top of the rack and pressurise the system... It has loads of pressure so if you have a leak you'll see it...

Other common place the switch in the rack! I've done 2 in my ED... It squirts through the insides of the switch and out through the pins and back up the wiring harness... Makes a friggin mess... It'll come out wherever it can find a hole then... Mine used to run out where the hego plug was... When up the convolute from the power steer switch, up to the fork where it went down to the hego plug, and would run out the convolute there and down the chassis rail...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hi Tim,
Thanks for that info, much appreciate it.

Hmm, I'll have to have a good look around to see where that leak is coming from.

I definitely could not see any leak from that Torsion Switch on that steering rack. I'll go over it more thoroughly to see where that oil is leaking from, definitely involves the steering pump , I'll have to trace that return line and see where that goes.

I did see what looked like an aluminium pipe some time ago near the condenser ( 2 years ago). I thought it may be part of the aircon piping system at that time.

Hmmmm.

I did notice the holes in the front cross member had wet oil, when placed a cloth inside that hole, it was bit more oil than I realised.

I found my old HP steering hose, now just get the other ED, EA or EB hose and get the bugger modified with an inline joiner with Pirtek on Monday.

O Rings too.

Cheers, Peter

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

TimmyA,

Are the nuts on the ED, EA and EB the same size as the AU?

Never done any work on the ED, EA or EB's , wondering if their HP hoses are easy to get to without obstacles in the way.

Cheers,

Peter

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah man... Same pump... EA thru AU... Other than the nose and the mounting brackets... As far as I can see they're all identical... Even the nut in the back of the pump with the valve behind it (where the HP hose screws into) is the same based on my measurements when I screwed the ED hose into the AU pump on the new donk...

The switch is an awkward angle to get at in the rack... You need a bent spanner... Not sure about the hoses but, never undone them... Might be easier to cut it off with parrot nose cutters... The exhaust side will look much similar to your AU as far as obstacles go...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Thanks Tim,

Update,

After going for a short drive 20mins each way . Checked steering pump, yep lost a bit of fluid. Jacked car, check underneath, bit of oil seen across entire front cross member, oil on top of alternator.

Start engine, had someone turn steering wheel, found leak, mongrel leaking from pump , must have been forced out between pump nut and steering hose nut. Pump housing felt a bit odd underneath, could not see any hairline crack.

Undone HP hose leading to pump, O ring was knackered.

Will check again after replacing steering pump with my previous unit. Replaced damaged O Ring. For peace of mind will still be making another HP hose as suggested.

Bearing in my original power pump is a bit noisy.

Might be wise of me to invest in a reconditioned steering pump just in case.

Cheers, Peter

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]