Fordmods Logo

How do I remove the pedal box? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: How do I remove the pedal box?
Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:53 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF Wagon

NT, Australia

hi guys, first post here, been looking around for a little while but cannot find what I need to know.

How do you get the pedal box assembly out of an EF falcon?? I was well aware of the issues with cracking and bending around the clutch pedal pivot previously, and after searching on here I can find several ways to add the clutch pivot to an auto pedal box and reinforce it, but no info can be found on removing the pedal box from the car.

any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Post subject: Re: How do I remove the pedal box?
Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:46 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

You have to remove the whole dashboard to get to the top 3 bolts that hold the pedal box in place.

I remember typing this up some where...can't remember which thread though.

I'll give a run down on what is involved and someone else can fill in the gaps.

You have to drop the steering wheel, undo the bolts that hold the bottom of the pedal box to the firewall (I think there are 4 or so) and unclip the accelerator, brake and pedal cables. Once you have done that you have to remove the head unit surround to access two bolts that are hidden underneath and behind a metal frame which helps support the head unit, can get to them with a socket with extension bar and you can see them when you put your head down on the gear boot and look towards the front. Remove both kick panels on either side to get access to a bolt on either side which also holds the dashboard in place. Remove the plastic cover that runs along the top of the dashboard towards the front of the car under the windscreen, it is held in place by 2 screws on either side next to the A-pillars. Once you remove that, undo the 5 or 6 bolts that run along the top of the dash. I think that is a basic run down.

Just remember of unplugging wiring looms before you start yanking on the dash.

The dash is heavy so you might need 2 people to help you pull it out as well as putting it back in the right way.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:07 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6

QLD, Australia

It can be done by just unbolting the drivers side of the dash and pulling it forward but it is a pain in the asse. Have fun

EF XR6 Manual 271RWHP/199RWKW N/A using Stock manifold with dual plane runners still operating. EFI Hardware 6TBM to come mid year.

Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:10 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF Wagon

NT, Australia

I can see a bunch of bolts around the brake and clutch pedals which dont seem too hard, dropping the steering column is easy enough, but the hard part is accessing some bolts behind the dash reinforcement?

we have taken dashes out of EF's at work in the past, but I'd rather not if I can help it.

I guess the other option is to try and straighten the clutch pedal pin in place and maybe try to brace it somewhere, or straighten and see how long it lasts now the cable isnt sticking.

Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1996 ford el futura

NSW, Australia

phongus has got it in 1 hit follow his steps u are better off taking out the hole dash its a major P.I.A but it will make matters easier .

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]