Fordmods Logo

How much should towbar cost?? 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: How much should towbar cost??
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 50

Posts: 912

Joined: 22nd Mar 2005

Gallery: 1 images

Location: FNQ
QLD, Australia

I've been quoted $350 to have a 1200kg rated towbar fitted to my ED - does anyone know if that's an ok price?

Also - is it possible to fit it yourself or are there certification/legality issues involved?

 

_________________

96 EF Auto GLi - Bilstein Shocks - Adjustable Front sway bar - JMM Cam - TI Perf J3 - TCI 2500/3000 stall converter. 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1380

Joined: 13th Dec 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA GT

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

dont u need to get a tranny cooler for the auto when pulling that much??
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: How much should towbar cost??
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 4102

Joined: 18th Nov 2004

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

Location: Carrum Downs
VIC, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
I've been quoted $350 to have a 1200kg rated towbar fitted to my ED - does anyone know if that's an ok price?

Also - is it possible to fit it yourself or are there certification/legality issues involved?


You can fit it yourself, you just need to remove the bumper.
Not sure about the price. Try pricing one supply only, see what the differance is.

kermey wrote:
dont u need to get a tranny cooler for the auto when pulling that much??


Tranny cooler is always a good idea, weither towing or not. However 1200kg is the small towbar.

 

_________________

Image
She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 6432

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 6 images

I have the 1600kg towpack and was just wondering whether it would be too much strain on my transmission if I was to pull a car on a trailer with it?

 

_________________

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 50

Posts: 912

Joined: 22nd Mar 2005

Gallery: 1 images

Location: FNQ
QLD, Australia

kermey wrote:
dont u need to get a tranny cooler for the auto when pulling that much??


8-) See that bit at the end of my sig.? - I'm doing both the tow bar and the manual conversion in the next couple of weeks - prior to moving across the country with trailer full of home contents - the conversion I'm doing myself but I assumed the towbar had to be installed by a certified mech shop - but when quoted $350 for it I thought I'd check.

 

_________________

96 EF Auto GLi - Bilstein Shocks - Adjustable Front sway bar - JMM Cam - TI Perf J3 - TCI 2500/3000 stall converter. 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 36

Posts: 7287

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

Location: Somewhere in
QLD, Australia

Vic wrote:
I have the 1600kg towpack and was just wondering whether it would be too much strain on my transmission if I was to pull a car on a trailer with it?

not really, but it'd be a good idea to get a tranny cooler if you dont already have one

another point to consider would be that the weight of the car trailer+car would probably exceed the weight limit of the towbar

 

_________________

Banned

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:24 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 22

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: NCII Ghia

Location: Geelong
VIC, Australia

I got quoted $280 for a new Hayman reece fitted and that included wiring. From a wrecker you should be able to get one for around $50.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 6432

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 6 images

Interceptor wrote:
Vic wrote:
I have the 1600kg towpack and was just wondering whether it would be too much strain on my transmission if I was to pull a car on a trailer with it?

not really, but it'd be a good idea to get a tranny cooler if you dont already have one

another point to consider would be that the weight of the car trailer+car would probably exceed the weight limit of the towbar

Exactly the reason why I asked. Although I have the transmission cooler I was thinking that a car and trailer would exceed the 1600kg capability.

 

_________________

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 36

Posts: 7287

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

Location: Somewhere in
QLD, Australia

Vic wrote:
Interceptor wrote:
Vic wrote:
I have the 1600kg towpack and was just wondering whether it would be too much strain on my transmission if I was to pull a car on a trailer with it?

not really, but it'd be a good idea to get a tranny cooler if you dont already have one

another point to consider would be that the weight of the car trailer+car would probably exceed the weight limit of the towbar

Exactly the reason why I asked. Although I have the transmission cooler I was thinking that a car and trailer would exceed the 1600kg capability.

the biggest problem is that it's illegal to tow more than what the bar is rated at

towing 1600kg+ isnt an issue, as you can get a towbar rated at IIRC ~2300kg, if you get a higher rated bar, just be mindfull that you're towing a s**t behind you, and dont drive in a way that's abusing the box

either way, if you're gonna be towing anything on a frequent basis, it will accelerate the wear on all drivetrain components, especially with heavier trailers

 

_________________

Banned

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 2351

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Its probably not a bad price to pay for a towbar.
For example i can get a Genuine Ford 1660kg towbar including wiring for $185, but it would need to be fitted. So its not really overpriced.

Dave
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:04 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 35

Posts: 87

Joined: 12th Dec 2004

Ride: '97 EL GLi Falcon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

EL XR8 wrote:
Its probably not a bad price to pay for a towbar.
For example i can get a Genuine Ford 1660kg towbar including wiring for $185, but it would need to be fitted. So its not really overpriced.

Dave


That's not too bad actually... :)

In that case, can you get just the tranny cooler seperately?

Wolfpac

 

_________________

Hot Chilli Red EL, Doof, Vrooom and Sittin' Low, the way it should be!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 11791

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

Location: SE Melb
VIC, Australia

we usually sell the ed towbars for $50

 

_________________

Nicko

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 50

Posts: 912

Joined: 22nd Mar 2005

Gallery: 1 images

Location: FNQ
QLD, Australia

Neo_nick wrote:
we usually sell the ed towbars for $50


In what condition? With wiring included??

 

_________________

96 EF Auto GLi - Bilstein Shocks - Adjustable Front sway bar - JMM Cam - TI Perf J3 - TCI 2500/3000 stall converter. 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 516

Joined: 20th Dec 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

Location: S.E. Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
kermey wrote:
dont u need to get a tranny cooler for the auto when pulling that much??


8-) See that bit at the end of my sig.? - I'm doing both the tow bar and the manual conversion in the next couple of weeks - prior to moving across the country with trailer full of home contents - the conversion I'm doing myself but I assumed the towbar had to be installed by a certified mech shop - but when quoted $350 for it I thought I'd check.


You don't need a transmission cooler on a manual.

Dont go over the rated tow capacity of the towbar, both weight and downforce on the rear. You will streach the body. Heavy duty towbars are mounted differently. In my owners manual it says the manuals can only be fitted with the 1200Kg towpack because of load issues on the transmission.

A car trailer can weigh upto 800Kg by itself then add another falcon = 2400Kg, have fun finding a towpack to pull that safely.

 

_________________

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 36

Posts: 7287

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

Location: Somewhere in
QLD, Australia

no real issue with towing the full 2300kgs with a manual, ford dont approve it because the clutch s**t itself

 

_________________

Banned

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:08 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names