Fordmods Logo

How to make my ef front end stiffer? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: How to make my ef front end stiffer?
Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Red is off car adjustable, Yellow in on car adjustable.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Direct from the KOni site

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the difference between KONI Special (red) and KONI Sport (yellow)?

A: The KONI Special (red) has been engineered to maximize the ride comfort with good handling performance for each vehicle application. The KONI Sport (yellow) typically starts at a higher initial valving baseline to give a sportier feel and work on vehicles with higher performance parts. In some instances, KONI will only offer a Special or Sport valving and not both. Some modern cars come from the factory with higher tech suspension systems and wheel/tire packages so they would move directly into the Sport range, however they are still valved to give a comfortable ride with very good handling capabilities.

From the King Spring website

Kings Super Low & Ultra Low Sports Replacement Coil
Spring Range is designed primarily for cosmetic enhancement
(show cars etc).

I still reckon somethings going to give sooner rather than later if your pushing to the point she is sparking off the tar. Also, your car has been designed " performance wise" with one person in the drivers seat. Those 4x 12" subs you have is not helping your " race car" feel either. Weight distributions up to s**t, overall weight is up to s**t, being so low she sparks is rooting your handling and your car as well. I have read and also can vouch having lows over super lows gives a better handling feel. Read about suspension on any suspension site and super lows and super super lows are not designed for performance but just looks and are recommended not for road use.
By your question about making your car like a v8 supercar, handling wise I take it your not 100% with the in's and outs of a car. Your EL had been designed and tested to meet and exceed ( to a limit) the spec's of the Xr's. Anything more is testament to the build quality. Understand your EL is a family car, the more stress in excess of the Xr spec's can and will eventually cause major problems. Like I stated in the post deleted, if you want a race car feel and stiff suspension buy an evo or a 911 ( some of the cars I can think about that from factory have bone breaking hard suspension-there are more), because what you have started with in your EL is a family car. If you want ultra performance in the handling department, buy a sports car with all the goodies your after coming in as stock.

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:17 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Elwagon91 wrote:
My car already touches the ground ahah the kframe and the swaybay but the sparks look cool
So I need it stiffer aha

theres part of ya problem ...... ya tooo low :roll: :lol:

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: 1997 EL XR6

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Why not go XYZ Coil Covers?

MGW Short Throw Shifter, CVE Cam, CVE Head, SS Big Mouth Air Intake, Pacemaker Headers, 3" Exhaust, 3" Varex, 3" Cat, 19" Silver Agents, EMS Stinger 4424, 42lb Injectors and Walbro 255lb Fuel Pump

Next: Pacemaker Comps, 6 Individual Throttle Bodies, ICE Coil and ignition

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:49 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Ef wagon

VIC, Australia

Ok than thanks :)
And six can't fined xyz cheep they want 800 just for the front

Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: 1997 EL XR6

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Fair enough mate

MGW Short Throw Shifter, CVE Cam, CVE Head, SS Big Mouth Air Intake, Pacemaker Headers, 3" Exhaust, 3" Varex, 3" Cat, 19" Silver Agents, EMS Stinger 4424, 42lb Injectors and Walbro 255lb Fuel Pump

Next: Pacemaker Comps, 6 Individual Throttle Bodies, ICE Coil and ignition

Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I was quoted $480 for the fronts and $330 for the rears for a set of koni reds.
So I went looking elsewhere I found an ad and offered the guy $180 for the full set of koni reds and he took it.

They were up there for weeks, old and battered and no one wanted them, when he accepted my offer I was worried I'd just blown $180 on old/worn suspension (as shocks aren't a wise thing to buy second hand). I had no idea how old or how many k's they have on them but they look rather used.
Anyway picked them up, inspected them and looked real good and have had them in the car a few weeks now and they are mint!
You can adjust the stiffness on these so if they wear out you just tighten them up a bit. At first I did the rears up far too stiff and it felt like I was going to bounce of the road! These are good shock and you will be more than impressed with them. Don't bother with monroe anything but koni and Bilsteins is a waste of time if you want the best handling.
Try a wreckers/keep an eye out online you should be able to get a set for well under $200 and in a lot better condition. I just bought the first ones I saw like I said they were up there for weeks no one wanted them.

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:23 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

I brought a set of koni yellows for my first ed about 14 years ago and they were $1200 for the set of 4, those shocks lasted 12 years and were used in 4 cars over that period before they started to leak and were still performing great, might have been expensive but definitely worth it..

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:26 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Ef wagon

VIC, Australia

This sounds good :) I hope they make them for wagons because I'm sick of the body role I put Xr 6 leafs in the helped and made it feel 19000000000 times better but there is still just a litel bit there that I hope shocks wan help with

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2