Fordmods Logo

How to measure front swaybar 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: How to measure front swaybar
Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

Hi my eb v8 fairmont is fitted with a red swaybar in the front and im unsure of what brand it is but more importantly i dont know the thickness...

So my question is how do i measure my front swaybar?.

Thanks Brad.

Post subject: Re: How to measure front swaybar
Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

RAPTOR_XR8 wrote:
Hi my eb v8 fairmont is fitted with a red swaybar in the front and im unsure of what brand it is but more importantly i dont know the thickness...

So my question is how do i measure my front swaybar?.

Thanks Brad.

Using a digital vernier is probably quickest & easiest. Measure where there rubbers fit. If it's a red bar, it's probably a pedders bar.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Thanks for that mate, i need to redo my radius rod bushes because there shagged and while i was at it i thought id upgrade the swaybar then i found out it was red so thought id ask.

Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

RAPTOR_XR8 wrote:
Thanks for that mate, i need to redo my radius rod bushes because there shagged and while i was at it i thought id upgrade the swaybar then i found out it was red so thought id ask.

Measure it & See what it is, could be after market or it could be just tarted up too. Anyway, i can tell you there are a few sized bushes available, so it needs to be measured to make sure you get the right ones. Also, you may need new brackets to fit the new bushes, as a customer found out the other day, ordered nolethane sway bar mounts, had to modify his factory brackets a tad to fit the bushes....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

lol wtf how does that work... yeah ill try to measure it tomorrow and let you know, how can they sell bushes that dont fit??

Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

RAPTOR_XR8 wrote:
lol wtf how does that work... yeah ill try to measure it tomorrow and let you know, how can they sell bushes that dont fit??

The aftermarket bushes will fit with aftermarket u brackets to make them fit, but the factory brackets don't fit most of the aftermarket bushes without modification.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ah i get you, by the look of the swaybar it hasnt been tarted up but i could be wrong.

Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Well got under it this morning and it was painted red (i scratched it back and it was black) i measured it and its a 25mm swaybar so id guess its factory which explains the s**t of handling my car has..

Looks like a whiteline 30mm swaybar will find its way under there very soon anyone have any ideas on prices for one of those??

Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Would 30 be too stiff for the road? There are a couple of 27ish mm bars around that might be a bit tamer for road use.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:33 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

RAPTOR_XR8 wrote:
Looks like a whiteline 30mm swaybar will find its way under there very soon anyone have any ideas on prices for one of those??
Check out whiteline's website.
I ended up getting mine through Autobarn when they had a 20% off day - about the only thing I've bought through them. Be prepared to wait weeks for them.
ToranaGuy wrote:
Would 30 be too stiff for the road? There are a couple of 27ish mm bars around that might be a bit tamer for road use.
Nah, 30mm makes a very noticeable difference. Be a good idea to upgrade the rear swaybar to match.
The D bushes should come with them. From memory, the EL front bars were cheaper - be aware though that the EF/EL link rods are thicker, and the EL D bush brackets have a dimple. Easy upgrade though.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

We have some listings in the computer @ repco too, no idea on pricing, but we had a 20% off sale this w/e, wouldn't have been a bad time to order a bar...

Thanks for the feedback on the 30mm bar snap0964! I might have to put a set of better bars on my wish list.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:45 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

NP. Yeah, I run 30mm fronts (20mm rears) on both cars, they are effective.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]