Fordmods Logo

hub adaptors 

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: hub adaptors
Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Turbo VT, VL Calais Trubo, HQ SS

VIC, Australia

Hi fellas just wondering if someone can help me out.

I was looking at buying a particular set of rims to fit my EL fairmont however the rims are to suit a BA. Now the guy has told me that I can use 30mm hub adaptors and it should be sweet.

I just wanted some feedback and thought around this? Because I know they make your car unroadworthy, and also heard about other bad experiences.

Also would these hub adpaters make the wheel poke out more?

The only good thing I guess is I can fit them on a BA and the EL as I have both models.

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: hub adaptors
Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:24 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: el fairmont

QLD, Australia

I have got hub adapters on my el fairmont with ba rims with no problems at all ,as for making your wheels stick out ,ba wheels are offset in & will rub on suspension thats why they need to be stepped out .Now some will say they are bad & dangerous & that they are alloy & can break ,1 they have been used in motor sport for years , 2 wheels are made of alloy & they don't snap & fall off .
The ones i have are from ez accesory in the usa made from 6061 t6 billet aluminium ,very good quality i chose 40mm for a mustang & with our dollar so high they are cheap .
Alternative big break upgrade uses modified ba hubs on ef el modified stub uprights with ba discs & calipers with ba offset & if you fit a au none irs diff ba wheels will fit front & rear with no adapters .

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the info mate. I have been talking to friends and have heard points for and against. So really undecided at this point in time.
If I was to change over the wheels would I need to change/modify my rotors at all?
Or do the hub adapters just go straight over?

Thanks

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:24 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

BoostedVT wrote:
Thanks for the info mate. I have been talking to friends and have heard points for and against. So really undecided at this point in time.
If I was to change over the wheels would I need to change/modify my rotors at all?
Or do the hub adapters just go straight over?

Thanks

Hubs sit on top of the existing hub extending it out further.

Personally I wouldn't use them. Alloy wheels may break, but extending the hub can mean more stress on parts of the system...such as the original hub thread. I mean people have used them without issues and some with catastrophic failure...up to you if you want to risk it.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks mate. I dont think I would be prepared to risk it for the reasons you have mentioned. Its just not worth it.

At the same time they may not fail, but even just for insurance purposes

Thanks guys

Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:15 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: el fairmont

QLD, Australia

A ba wheel with a 40mm hub adapter does not put any more strain on the hub or bearings than an e series wheel ,if you look inside a e series wheel you will see a thick piece of alloy that offsets the wheel out the same as a ba rim with adapter applying the same load as standard .
The biggest problem with hub adapters in the past is cheap garbage from china & people not fitting them properly .what is extremely dangerous is all the shonky 20" & bigger chrome cheap cr@# very low quality wheels flooding the market from china ,they spend more time on looks than strength & structural quality ,

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Always Falcons.

VIC, Australia

I have them on my ef fairmont and xr8, not full time however... I wont drive crazy with em on though... No burnouts etc... They're just on there for looks. Youll have to cut the studs shorter to fit them too, thats a pain... But the price of getting big sweet wheels on your E series...

EF2 XR8 Lowered on Genuine EL GT 17", Slotted + Drilled all round, Custom retrimmed ghia interior, competition stereo, DiFillipo headers, hi-flow cats, single muffler 3", K&N, custom maf/induction and rear window venetian

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: 1997 EL XR6

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

There are plenty of horror stories about them out there, so when I wanted rims for my XR I just paid the little bit extra for pre Au rims. I just didn't want to risk doing damage, that being said if you don't drive the car hard and just check on wear and tear every now and again then you should be ok!

MGW Short Throw Shifter, CVE Cam, CVE Head, SS Big Mouth Air Intake, Pacemaker Headers, 3" Exhaust, 3" Varex, 3" Cat, 19" Silver Agents, EMS Stinger 4424, 42lb Injectors and Walbro 255lb Fuel Pump

Next: Pacemaker Comps, 6 Individual Throttle Bodies, ICE Coil and ignition

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I keep hearing people say "heaps of horror stories"
I've seen one, and that was due to using the wrong wheel nuts on them.

If you retain the std e-series offset after fitting the adaptors, there is absolutely no change in the loads applied to any part of the steering or suspension (wheel bearings included).

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:12 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

MAD wrote:
I keep hearing people say "heaps of horror stories"
I've seen one, and that was due to using the wrong wheel nuts on them.

If you retain the std e-series offset after fitting the adaptors, there is absolutely no change in the loads applied to any part of the steering or suspension (wheel bearings included).

exactly...

all the failures ive come across are from either the nuts from hub to adaptor have not been done up properly or the wrong nuts have been used on the wheel to adaptor..
there were a few adaptors around that have a different thread and most will use there ford mag wheel nuts on them not realising the thread is slightly off, so they will do up ok, but after some driving the the nuts just strip off and your wheel comes off...

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:07 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Always Falcons.

VIC, Australia

My adaptors came with adaptor to hub nuts, and wheels came with wheel nuts, the adaptor studs are also black grade 8, like my dba rotor studs... Never had a problem. Got them fitted with my wheels at FDO in ferntree gully. Guys there are awesome.

EF2 XR8 Lowered on Genuine EL GT 17", Slotted + Drilled all round, Custom retrimmed ghia interior, competition stereo, DiFillipo headers, hi-flow cats, single muffler 3", K&N, custom maf/induction and rear window venetian

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:35 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

What you say about the correct fitment of hub adaptors is spot on. They are used in motorsport with no issues. It is the quality of the material used, the workmanship and the fitment. Also, as MAD has said, used properly to retain the correct offset will see no additional force or wear on components.

Does not change the fact that they are illegal for road use in most if not all states. Will get you a defect from the cops of void you insurance in the case of an accident if they spot them.

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
void you insurance in the case of an accident if they spot them.
If it can be proved that they were the cause the accident.
Having an un-roadworthy vehicle does not automatically void your insurance.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:41 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

SWC wrote:
What you say about the correct fitment of hub adaptors is spot on. They are used in motorsport with no issues. It is the quality of the material used, the workmanship and the fitment. Also, as MAD has said, used properly to retain the correct offset will see no additional force or wear on components.

Does not change the fact that they are illegal for road use in most if not all states. Will get you a defect from the cops of void you insurance in the case of an accident if they spot them.

True but they will try and use every excuse not to payout.

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Ef Ghiaaaaaargh!

WA, Australia

Don't use hub adaptors, i know 2 people personally that have had them fail, 1 is me.

They may use them in motorsport but i guarantee they aren't the s**t ones most people end up with.

Everything was done right but one still failed.

Thats just my experience..

Mercedes 500SEC: -- GONE -- http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/my-83-mercedes-500sec-buildup-t69837.html
Ef Ghia: -- GONE -- Pacie 4480's, 2.5" Redback, custom grille, FTR's.
AU xr8: BA xr wheels, 2.5" custom exh, leather and woodgrain next.
Chevy Camaro: LHD, Black, all original.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next