Fordmods Logo

i done mine this way to setup a transmission cooler 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: i done mine this way to setup a transmission cooler
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:24 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Posts: 165

Joined: 2nd Feb 2007

Ride: Ford AU series 2 Wagon

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

transmission line out to tranny cooler.
line out of tranny cooler to radiator.
radiator return to transmission.

setting it up like this is the same as setting it up as the opposite way around unless anyone can disagree

transmission to radiator then to cooler then to transmision

would anyone like to comment on this setup thank you

 

_________________

wagoff

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

I would imagine that the radiator is hotter than the external transmission cooler. So I would of thought you would be putting heat back into the oil by running it from the cooler to the radiator then to the transmission.
Personally I would have done it the opposite way.

Also, does the oil enter at the top or the bottom of the cooler? It should enter at the top and leave at the bottom. This is so that if the box is ever low on oil it is still cycled.

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:22 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 1000491

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Also, does the oil enter at the top or the bottom of the cooler? It should enter at the top and leave at the bottom. This is so that if the box is ever low on oil it is still cycled.


nope enters teh bottom of teh rad and exits the top

 

_________________

RIP SCOTT

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: i done mine this way to setup a transmission cooler
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:52 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

i would have done it so the fluid flows from the transmission to radiator. from radiator to external cooler. then from the external cooler back to transmission..

i would agree with twr7cx..the radiator is hotter than the external transmission cooler so if it flows through the cooler before the radiator the radiator will heat the fluid again..defeating the purpose of the ext cooler.

and it dont really matter what direction the fluid travels through the radiator as its just an internal tube that is inside the radiator and it doesnt have any restrictors or valves that make it nesessary to flow a certain way..

Last edited by TROY. on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 1085

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Ride: BF XR Turbo

Location: Castle Hill
NSW, Australia

i would have bypassed the radiator entirely.. why run it through water thats 90degrees?




-mitch

 

_________________

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 468

Joined: 21st Aug 2005

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: SERIES 2 FAIRMONT GHIA

Location: perth western australia
WA, Australia

mitchg911 wrote:
i would have bypassed the radiator entirely.. why run it through water thats 90degrees?




-mitch



exactly

 

_________________

Image

15 PSI OF BOOSTED GHIA GOODNESS!!!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 4401

Joined: 25th Mar 2005

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Plus there's a possibility of the radiator leaking into the transmission (pretty common on BAs), better to just bypass it altogether.

 

_________________

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: i done mine this way to setup a transmission cooler
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:51 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 37

Posts: 266

Joined: 8th Aug 2007

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: xd 351, AUII XR6.... R.I.P ef fa

Location: Prestons
NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
i would have done it so the fluid flows from the transmission to radiator. from radiator to external cooler. then from the external cooler back to transmission..

i would agree with twr7cx..the radiator is hotter than the external transmission cooler so if it flows through the cooler before the radiator the radiator will heat the fluid again..defeating the purpose of the ext cooler.

and it dont really matter what direction the fluid travels through the radiator as its just an internal tube that is inside the radiator and it doesnt have any restrictors or valves that make it nesessary to flow a certain way..


WHAT TROY MAN SAYS!!! IS THE CORRECT WAY OF DOING IT..

 

_________________

<a href="http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/stephen351/?action=view¤t=resize2.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/stephen351/resize2.jpg" border="0" alt="resize"></a>

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: reply
Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:56 am 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Posts: 165

Joined: 2nd Feb 2007

Ride: Ford AU series 2 Wagon

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

i still think i having the transmission cooler linked before the radiator does make a difference cause its dissipating a more of the heat before it is cooled more inside the radiator on the way back to the transmission i felt the return line from the radiator and its ice cold so it must be working correctly still....
hence inlarging the cooling surface area having the tranny cooler before or after the radiator still decreases the temp by 15 to 25 degree's..

after driving on the highway for 30mins
i tested the temp going from the transmission to the transmission cooler inlet 88-85 deg
transmission cooler outlet 75-70 deg to radiator inlet
radiator return hose to transmission 17 -22 deg

 

_________________

wagoff

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:14 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
Also, does the oil enter at the top or the bottom of the cooler? It should enter at the top and leave at the bottom. This is so that if the box is ever low on oil it is still cycled.


nope enters teh bottom of teh rad and exits the top


This has been debated many times. If you look at the factory set up, it should enter at the top and exist at the bottom. The reason for this is because if the box is ever low on fluid, the fluid will still flow.
Where as if it exists at the top, then the entire cooler has to fill up before fluid flows back to the box.

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:15 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

low ghia wrote:
mitchg911 wrote:
i would have bypassed the radiator entirely.. why run it through water thats 90degrees?




-mitch



exactly


There is debate on this. 1 reason for not bypassing the built in radiator cooler is because it helps speed up warm up time for the box. While the oil should be cooled to not get too hot, the box also shouldn't be run too cold.

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:02 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names