Fordmods Logo

Inline 6 flywheel confusion. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Inline 6 flywheel confusion.
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hi guys, I am shortly about to do an Auto-to-manual conversion to an EL 6cyl. I understand that to run the larger clutch an EB2 or later flywheel is required (6bolt), but I have not had much luck in finding an aftermarket (Light) flywheel to suit the 6 cyl. That said I can obtain a billet flywheel to suit a late windsor v8 quite easily.
A quick read of this thread: ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/had-v8-clutch-unit-installed-to-l6-t55967.html would show that a late Windsor V8 flywheel should bolt up to the inline 6, is this correct?
Assuming so, it leaves the following questions:
The thread says a neutral balance flywheel needs to be used. Does the inline 6 use a neutral balance flywheel as standard?
As I understand it, the v8 clutch is different to the 6cyl clutch, but how? Using a v8 flywheel would mean a v8 clutch would have to be used. Is the pressure plate height the same as that of the 6cyl? Or would a different thrust bearing need to be used to make up the difference in pressure plate height. What about the difference in input shafts, does a V8 T5 use a different input shaft (number of splines, diameter etc) to the Inline 6 T5? If so could you get a clutch plate that fits the v8 flywheel and pressure plate but also the Inline 6 T5 input shaft?
NOTE- I have an inline 6 T5 out of an EL which I intend to use in this conversion.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Inline 6 flywheel confusion.
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

When I fitted that flywheel, I called yella terra and bought the neutral ballance light weight EFI windsor flywheel.
When it was delivered I trial fitted the old I6 pressure plate, the bolt pattern for pressure plate to flywheel was different.
I use an AU XR8 Exedy sports tough clutch.
When I spoke to Exedy about back them they had never seen it done and couldn't guaranty that it would work.
I took the chance and bought it anyway.
It fitted the flywheel and the input shaft. every thing just bolted straight up.

The only issue I had at he time was trying to get the cable adjusted right. But that turned out to be a pedal box and cable issue, NOT a clutch related problem.

The flywheel I bought back then is no longer listed on the yella terra website, They 'may' if you call them still make it or be able to produce one.

Post subject: Re: Inline 6 flywheel confusion.
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:57 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

contact npc clutches in qld, i got a light weight billet flywheel and custom xr6t 10.5"clutch to suit the e series..
the billet flywheel is only 8kg compared to the std e series 12kg flywheel...

http://www.npcperformance.com.au/index.html

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]