Cheers

Post subject: Re: Interesting topic
Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Great article. Loved it. The author's got the credentials too. Professional race car driver and engineer, manager of Alan Moffat's winning Bathurst team, and a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). The article's a bit dated (eg, no mention of DOT 5.1), but that's to be expected: the author died ten years ago. He manages to explain in simple terms the technical details of a subject that sometimes seems to be as much witchcraft as science. This article's a keeper.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:56 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia V8

VIC, Australia

So what's a good street pad for an E series then according to this man's recommendations, Bendix Ultimates?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

I don't think he recommends anything in particular, he simply suggests that ones driving style is taken into consideration. The main point of the article, to me anyway, is the explanation of the "DTV" that causes the pulsation of the brake pedal, and how it can be avoided. I have always thought it was the wearing of the rotor, where he explains it to be pad deposit. I have also been using emery on my rotors, but I will change that now too.

I have been using Bendix for a LOT of years now, with no problems. I am using " Stealth" atm, and I am quite happy.

BTW, a very interesting bit of history efxr6wagon

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:44 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia V8

VIC, Australia

I was referring to the part where he was talking about pad materials that are prone to leave deposits on the discs.

I've also been using the Bendix stealth and find them a good pad for a daily. And no dust.

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:09 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Have had a bit of brake shudder creeping in lately - always thought it was disc warp.

Tried the suggested bedding in process - 10 stops with increasing severity from 100kmh to 10kmh with cooling in between - yep, pad smell around no7. Tried to avoid applying brakes stationary while hot.

Tried some hard stops today - I couldn't feel any shudder, car stopped much better too.
So it's worth a go even when your discs and pads are getting on - nothing to lose IMO.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]