Fordmods Logo

issues with recent conversion of gearbox 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: issues with recent conversion of gearbox
Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:27 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ford au2 ute

QLD, Australia

Hi guys , recently I got my ford Ute series 2 converted from auto to manual. I also had my car recently serviced where they reset my base idle and pulled the battery to allow the computer to relearn.. that's when all sort of things popped up...1 the guys that did the conversion did not hook up my reverse lights..2 now without a econ / power switch the default after reset of the computer is econ mode on..3 the guys at the shop said the car does not know if its auto or manual..4 as far as I know all the auto harness is just hanging underneath. 5 they told me they swapped over a box to manual and pulled the auto one out of the car ..but I don't know if a mistake has been made here and still got an auto in ...instead of manual ? .....so there a number of issues...how to fix this up...do I find the connector for the econ mode switch and refit the switch to switch this off on the dash .....which one is reverse light on the auto harness still in...and needs to be connected to the manual box in it..how do I sort that out..and what do I do to seal off the auto harness in it ..do I need to mod the ends first ....to give me reverse lights...and trick the computer ....where do I start ..the small box taken out I have no idea where it was located to check and compare what's in to what was taken out. I figure I should to find out if the replacement was manual and not another auto by mistake...I need some help , ty

Post subject: Re: issues with recent conversion of gearbox
Posted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:12 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Update ....I have rerouted the old auto shifter light to the centre consul cubby ....very useful :-). ......also removed the econ /power button switch from auto shifter and fitted to its connection wires , giving me an off and on function of that mode switch ...extended the lead to throw it all inside the centre consul cubby ......cleaned those 2 issues up ...now I need to fix the under car old auto wiring to get reverse lights and seal off and mod if needed those wires on that harness to tidy that up...I don't know how I need to dead end those not needed first before tap wrapping ..can anyone help with this info....on reverse and dead ending .....also the box that was meant to be switched ...how can identify auto from manual ...and where is it located..thanks :-)

Post subject: Re: issues with recent conversion of gearbox
Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:41 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

I am confirming that the 4 spade connector on the 6 cycle auto .....is wired the following way ...looking at the connector socket facing you and wires facing away ...and locking clip on your right hand side ..top left black, top right red/thick blue stripe..bottom left red /thin black stripe ....bottom right red/black thin stripe...this means the top 2 are neutral/park inhibitor - safety...in auto it uses a switch on gearbox..on manual you just loop connect the two.. the bottom 2 are for reverse switching ..in my case reverse switch on the manual gearbox tested working fine ....but using the bottom right wire ...was found to be defective ...don't know why ...but bottom left wire which is feed line works..so this is the fix .....go to the rear reverse lights ..leave the ground connected ..cut the power feed line that goes to the bulb..feed...run a wire from this point to your reverse switch at the gear box......so what you have is spade connector bottom left to (any) of the 2 prongs on the gearbox switch ..but you will notice one is marked red..so I put my feed point from connector to that one ..just to be technical ....lol...then run other from the switch to your new single line to reverse light feed ...job done ! ..now what if both lines are dead on the connector ...no big deal ..run you supply feed line to any 12.0v power that runs only when the car is on ....or you could run it to a full time on 12v ...but I would avoid this ....so now I got reverse light and safety start...you could put a small inline fuse in the reverse light if you like prob a....2 or 3 amp ..depending if your running 1 rear light or 2 ..or if your also got it connected to trailer plug ..and maybe an extra rear light ..on your Ute canopy or tray ...as well...hope this helps others ...:-) cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]