Fordmods Logo

Kingspring question 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Kingspring question
Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Hi i have an 6cyl ED falcon what i want to know is that when i lower my car will i have to put kingspring superlows on the rear and and lows on the front to level out my ED or have kingspring compensated for the difference in height.
Cheers Rhys

Silver EB Fairmont- AU S3 engine, Tickford Head, EF handbrake, T5 manual, EF XR6 3.45 LSD, 2.5" Catback by Rapid Exhaust, EL BBM, EL XR6 ECU, EL Thermos, EB Ghia interior, Kingy Superlows, Monroe struts
Now with a Walbro 255lph fuel pump :grin:

soon to come a crankin sound system boo yeh!!!!

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ900R

VIC, Australia

Depends on spring / shock combination. I have always used supers up front and ultras in the rear with monroe shocks and it sits level. However i know people that have super and super with pedders shocks and it sits level.

The Past: EF Fairmont, EL Fairmont 5.0, HR Special, NF Fairlane 5.0, GSX 250-F, BA II XR8, VS3 Ute, VS2 L67 Calais

The Present: FG Egas Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ 900R

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: VY Commodore Wagon Accli

VIC, Australia

Burns wrote:
Depends on spring / shock combination. I have always used supers up front and ultras in the rear with monroe shocks and it sits level. However i know people that have super and super with pedders shocks and it sits level.

This will be my suspension of choice. King Spring Super's front and rear with pedder's shocks.

Burn's, with that setup does the car bottom out over speed humps?

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

or you could not buy the kidney killers and get a set of dobinsons.

they even make it easy by listing there springs a 1 inch lower 2 inch lower ect. they even have listings to suit XRs, takes out all the need to questions like this one and people constanly asking "but how low are lows?".

and the best bit, they are not rough as guts to drive on.

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: VY Commodore Wagon Accli

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:

they even make it easy by listing there springs a 1 inch lower 2 inch lower ect. they even have listings to suit XRs, takes out all the need to questions like this one and people constanly asking "but how low are lows?".

You only want smoothness because you own a 4X4 :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:, where as we youngin's like to drive our car's around tight corner's as fast as we can :lol: (without causing harm to other motorists)

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SpeedyED wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:

You only want smoothness because you own a 4X4 :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:, where as we youngin's like to drive our car's around tight corner's as fast as we can :lol: (without causing harm to other motorists)

do a search for dobinson springs. that green EF XR6 you'll find a number of pics of. that was mine

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:40 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Futura

VIC, Australia

I've got king superlows front and rear.... Car sits nicely.

Shocks are stock but I'll be replacing them soon (I'm thinking Monroes) and I wonder if my ride height will seriously affected by this change?

I'm scraping the balls of my car as it is, I sure as f**k don't want it any lower. Frigging ridiculously tall speed bumps :evil:

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:

kings also manufacture springs in a wide range of heights. whether they compare to dobinsons or not i wouldn't know.

most people bang on about lows, super lows and ultra lows as though kings only make 3 sizes.

i wanted my car sitting nice how i wanted it so i went to a kings stockist and measured up where i wanted it and bought the springs to suit. they go up in about 5-10mm increments. i have 345mm hub to guard on front which i think is what is commonly referred to as superlow and 335mm rear hub to guard.

by far the easiest way to do it and takes a lot of the guess work out.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ900R

VIC, Australia

SpeedyED wrote:
Burns wrote:

This will be my suspension of choice. King Spring Super's front and rear with pedder's shocks.

Burn's, with that setup does the car bottom out over speed humps?

yeah it does, plus the 19's scrub the guards a lil.

The Past: EF Fairmont, EL Fairmont 5.0, HR Special, NF Fairlane 5.0, GSX 250-F, BA II XR8, VS3 Ute, VS2 L67 Calais

The Present: FG Egas Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ 900R

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

prydey wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:

kings also manufacture springs in a wide range of heights. whether they compare to dobinsons or not i wouldn't know.

most people bang on about lows, super lows and ultra lows as though kings only make 3 sizes.

i wanted my car sitting nice how i wanted it so i went to a kings stockist and measured up where i wanted it and bought the springs to suit. they go up in about 5-10mm increments. i have 345mm hub to guard on front which i think is what is commonly referred to as superlow and 335mm rear hub to guard.

the fact kings make them in different heights doesn't mater.
It's more the fact that the kings are overly stiff for a daily driven car.
It really does amaze me, the amount of people that put up with them.

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
prydey wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:

i was more pointing out the fact that you can get your car to look exactly how you want as they do more than just 3 sizes.

regarding stiffness for a daily?? most of the stiffness comes from the shock. springs have different rates, yes but you'll be hard pushed to notice on a road car if you leave the shocks the same. changing shocks and sway bars is where you'll notice it most.

i've never found kings to be too hard on a daily. and you can't go past their value for money for the average punter. if you are a regular at track days you might like to spend a bit more but i would hazard a guess that 80% of people who lower their cars do so for looks with a small/medium increase in handling because of it.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

yes i have a stiff falc and it's gay everyday.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:17 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I have king lows all round. Does the trick and is a bit bouncy, though the koni shocks do help make it a much smoother ride, yet still fun to corner with. It is stiffer then stock as you'd expect, but I can live with it...it isn't so much a nuisance as my clutch pedal making a f@rt noise everytime i push the clutch down.

If you have a gas tank in the boot or a big stereo install in the boot that weighs it down, then get the same height springs for front and back since the a** will sit lower with the extra weight.

Hope that helps.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

prydey wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
prydey wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:

i was more pointing out the fact that you can get your car to look exactly how you want as they do more than just 3 sizes.

regarding stiffness for a daily?? most of the stiffness comes from the shock. springs have different rates, yes but you'll be hard pushed to notice on a road car if you leave the shocks the same. changing shocks and sway bars is where you'll notice it most.

i've never found kings to be too hard on a daily. and you can't go past their value for money for the average punter. if you are a regular at track days you might like to spend a bit more but i would hazard a guess that 80% of people who lower their cars do so for looks with a small/medium increase in handling because of it.

Are you saying dobinson don't do more then just 3 sizes?

As for saying the stiffness is in the shocks, pfft. you're talking to some who has had both brands in the same car with bilstein shocks.
the kings are far harsher, to the point the sale of car fell through due to it.

Cost, the dobinsons cost less then king when i bought them. If you're only doing it for looks, why wouldn't you buy a spring that rides well.

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

tickford6 - you need to brush up on your comprehension skills. you commented that dobinsons make a range of springs to suit all different heights. i merely pointed out that kings also make a wide range of sizes and not just the 3 main ones that get mentioned on every topic to do with lowering.

as for stiffness, take your shocks out and you'll notice the car isn't very stiff at all. whilst springs can make a minor difference, on a road car the primary function is ride height.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next