Fordmods Logo

Knocking in rear 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Knocking in rear
Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:04 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Falcon AU

QLD, Australia

Hey everyone, Ive got an '04 XR8 MkII which Ive just started to notice when im nearly stationary 80% of the time i hear a clunking noice coming from diff area towards the back. Ive just recently moved up north with a trailer full of heavy tools so Im not sure if its the diff bush. Its done about 117.000k's at the moment. Ive replaced the rear shock recently also as the old ones were flogged. Im yet to do the rear brake pads also so might throw it up on a hoist and have a look when it up there. I also thought it could be a tailshaft coming loose or the backlashing in the diff. Not sure. I work on 4wd's all day anyway so this shouldnt be too hard to fix, but just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or its common.
Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Knocking in rear
Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:07 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Ive also tried throwing it into sports shift to see if its just the first gear making the noise when downshifting. It clunks much after it changes back down to first which hopefully eliminates if its a gearbox issue. And also got the spare tyre on atm which hopefully will get done through work this week which ive got 245's on all sides except rear passenger side which is a 215 which Im not sure if its thrown something out of alignment :|

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:17 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

I would say diff bushes, its the most common thing to stuff up causing knocking in rear of falcons from ba onwards...

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:10 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

I had a bit of a play with it this arvo. I broke slowly behind this car, no clunk, slowly crept forward to a point where then it would clunk after I was stationary. Seems to me like it's at a certain point when it clunks. Diff bushes would nothing to do with this, am i correct? I was looking into doing the bushes one day but I've been told it's a pain in the ring to do.

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:26 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Diff bushes require the whole back cradle assembly to be dropped. It is pretty hard to do without a hoist.
Take the car to your mechanic. They can check them and tell you straight away. The tell tale symptom is that probably the centre bush is split.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:06 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Yeah I'll have it up on the hoist this weekend to do the rear brakes so will definitely have a look then. Anything to look out for that you can think off the top if your head?

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: el fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

the "dead" body in the boot isn't acturly dead?

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia
did someone call 9 1 HOLY s**t?

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:52 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1998 EL Fairmont Ghia

New Zealand

reaper_falcon wrote:
Yeah I'll have it up on the hoist this weekend to do the rear brakes so will definitely have a look then. Anything to look out for that you can think off the top if your head?

Did this get sorted out? I have a knocking issue that may (or may not) be related so I'd like to hear how this one went ;)

http://www.fordmods.com/post1418632.html#p1418632

Cheapie EL Fairmont drag car build thread

Next: DIY shift kit, lowering springs and shocks, new rims, nitrous kit, nitrous purge, line locker

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]