Loose AUIII XR8 steering column 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Loose AUIII XR8 steering column
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU III XR8 347ci

ACT, Australia

The height-adjustable steering column in my AUIII XR8 seems to be either loose or has a little play in it. I've ensured the height adjustment lever under the column is firm, however I can still move the column up and down by 5mm or so. Obviously this gets annoying when driving on bumpy roads, where it slightly bounces up and down.

Tried doing a forum search though couldn't find anything similar.

Any help would be appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Loose AUIII XR8 steering column
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

Tighten the bolts that hold the column to the dash??

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Haha. Sounds simple enough. Will add that one to the list of things to do/check when I get back from overseas. Just wanted to see if it was a common issue rather than having to investigate it upon my return.

Thanks!

Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:55 pm 

Ride: Drives Like Fun

Power: 318 rwkw

Location: Melbourne Interior: Cappucino Exterior: Sparkling Burgundy
VIC, Australia

I had the same problem in my TE50...it was actually the bearing that the column goes through the firewall from the cabin into the engine bay...it was non-existent! That's the first thing I'd check, as I too had the vertical movement in the assembly.

Good luck - let us know how you go :)

Vic Cruises & Events

Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

dcstraight wrote:
I had the same problem in my TE50...it was actually the bearing that the column goes through the firewall from the cabin into the engine bay...it was non-existent! That's the first thing I'd check, as I too had the vertical movement in the assembly.

Good luck - let us know how you go :)

Interesting, sounds a little more complex than tightening a few column bolts. Ha. Was it easy enough to fix/replace?

Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:45 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The bottom bearing is not serviceable AFAIK... Common cause of failure for them is people pull the dash out and drop the column on the floor twisting it in the bottom firewall plate which causes it to fail... Takes 5 mins to undo the half a dozen screws in the bottom plate so you don't damage the bottom bearing...

You'll soon find out if this is your problem... Will take you 2 seconds to lay on the floor and look up and see if the bearing is still present or has popped out the bottom plate...

If it has you'll be searching for a new/old good condition column to transfer everything over to...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

That's outrageous! The car only has 68K kms. I would have expected better longevity than that! Is it possible to remove the bottom bearing and replace it with one from another column? Seems like an absolute PITA to remove the whole column!

Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:55 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Have you had a look to see if it is or isn't this before flying off the handle?

They are known to fail... Whole column needs to come out to service it... Easy job but... One bolt at the knuckle at the bottom... Half a dozen screws through the firewall... Two bolts up to the pedal box and 3 or 4 plugs which are easy to see and access...

You'd have it out in 15 mins if you were having a go... Then it can be removed by sliding the two halves of the column apart, nicking the 4 tack welds on the sleeve and using a drift punch to remove the sleeve, then the bearing can be slid off the lower column... Same deal with the one on you replacement column... Reassemble in reverse order, making sure you reinstate the tack welds...

Lot more work but whatever you want to do...

Like I said but... Before getting too upset actually go and have a look and see if you can see a problem... We're just offering ideas... If that's still too hard then take it to a mechanic...

Unless you're going to provide feedback or photos with what you find we're all stabbing in the dark!

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Haha. That's definitely not me flying off the handle. Classic case of misinterpretation via text!

I'm deployed overseas with work at the moment, so not in a position to inspect. I'll be back for a few days next week, so shall endeavour to have a look then. I only purchased the car two days before flying over here, and noticed a couple of seemingly minor irregularities during the 12 hour drive. I'm just trying to canvas potential solutions with the view of rectifying during the short time I'll be at home next week.

Other than a few millimetres of up/down play in the steering column, everything else steering related is incredibly smooth and precise, with no play whatsoever. I assumed there would have been some sort of 'clunkiness' or noise if it was bearing related, but as you said, I won't know until I have a look next week.

Will certainly keep you posted.

Cheers for the replies.

Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Seemed as though you'd hit the roof... No sweat then...

I see your current predicament regarding investigating the issue...

Mine has in and out movement and one day I'll whip the wheel off and space the shaft out with a shim of some sort to prevent this...

If the nuts that hold it up the pedal box up are loose that's easy... It could also need tightening in the height adjuster as well... Can't remember how this comes apart to advise on how to fix it now... But something else to look for...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Haha. Negative mate. If I let such minuscule things adversely affect me, I'd have heck of a tough life ahead of me!

Thanks heaps, buddy. You're a legend. I'll have a good look around the area when I get back and update the post according.

Meantime, I'll try and find an online workshop manual for the AU and have a browse around for potential lose but locations.

Thanks again.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]