Lower EF with Super Lows 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Lower EF with Super Lows
Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

I am probably getting some KingSpring SuperLows just after xmas.

First thing is i want to lower the car because the wheel arch sits like 5cm or more about the tyre. I hate that soo much.

With Superlows how much lower then stock will that be?.

How far will the 'rails' be from the ground? Im talking about the part of the car you use those crappy ford jacks on.

I have monroe GT Gas all round. They are standard shockies. Will i have to change these with super lows?!

I know how to remove the rear springs. Im pretty sure about the fronts too.

I dug up the video of efbignik separating the original shock from the spring.
Can be seen [url=
http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h38/e ... hockss.flv ]HERE[/url]

But the major thing im worried about is the camber of the front wheels. When i think about this...it shouldnt change. Its really just like going over a speed bump.

How long would it take me to do all 4 springs?!

Im going to replace the upper bushes because they squeak like a hookers bed springs.

My exhaust center muffle scrapes on some speed humps. I think ill have to go get that raised. The exhaust isnt bent right for the car. Nothing a cut and weld cant fix.

Im also thinking that i should do a doco because there will be people out there that havnt done this before and want to. So would that be a decent thing to do? If it is good would a mod post it for me?

Lastly what about legal issues?? I live in Adelaide and i think they are pretty cool with this stuff. What about insurance. I got 3rd party (in cause i hit that GT) but am getting fire and theift soon. Will this effect it?

Thanks guys

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Post subject: Re: Lower EF with Super Lows
Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

stomper wrote:

First thing is i want to lower the car because the wheel arch sits like 5cm or more about the tyre. I hate that soo much.

How far will the 'rails' be from the ground? Im talking about the part of the car you use those crappy ford jacks on.

I have monroe GT Gas all round. They are standard shockies. Will i have to change these with super lows?!

Can be seen [url=
http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h38/e ... ction=view¤t=undofrontshockss.flv ]HERE[/url]

But the major thing im worried about is the camber of the front wheels. When i think about this...it shouldnt change. Its really just like going over a speed bump.

Im going to replace the upper bushes because they squeak like a hookers bed springs.

My exhaust center muffle scrapes on some speed humps. I think ill have to go get that raised. The exhaust isnt bent right for the car. Nothing a cut and weld cant fix.

Im also thinking that i should do a doco because there will be people out there that havnt done this before and want to. So would that be a decent thing to do? If it is good would a mod post it for me?

Lastly what about legal issues?? I live in Adelaide and i think they are pretty cool with this stuff. What about insurance. I got 3rd party (in cause i hit that GT) but am getting fire and theift soon. Will this effect it?

Thanks guys
before you jump in with spring compressors,tools and stubbies,get a castor -camber kit,about $200-300 and replace each side as you change the springs,when both sides are done,and body is settled,see how much the wheels slope in.now the fun starts-start shimming the arm out to square the wheel up-get it close as possible.then get wheel alignment at a suspension depot--most places wont touch the shims,but its part of the job,as far as time--i dont know how you work,but allow 1-2 days for front..the rear-4hrs or longer :roll: :roll: :roll:

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Post subject: Re: Lower EF with Super Lows
Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

stomper wrote:

Can be seen [url=
http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h38/e ... ction=view¤t=undofrontshockss.flv ]HERE[/url]

Thanks guys
before you jump in with spring compressors,tools and stubbies,get a castor -camber kit,about $200-300 and replace each side as you change the springs,when both sides are done,and body is settled,see how much the wheels slope in.now the fun starts-start shimming the arm out to square the wheel up-get it close as possible.then get wheel alignment at a suspension depot--most places wont touch the shims,but its part of the job,as far as time--i dont know how you work,but allow 1-2 days for front..the rear-4hrs or longer :roll: :roll: :roll:

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

how many people have lowers and got a camber kit?

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: SZ Titanium & ZG Fairlane

SA, Australia

I am gonna get a nolathane threaded camber kit when I do my suspension. I think they call it an evolution camber kit or something. It can be adjusted by thread instead of by shims. Meant to be better.

F6 Rspec #139 - Stock Car Racing

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

How much per corner? Ill have to get that before i lower it. GRR

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6T

i have superlows in my ef, i put a k-mac camber kit in the front and have never had problems with tyre wear etc.

300+rwkw HeadsexTuned XR6 Turbo Ute *NOW SOLD :(*
MK Triton with 31" muddies, 2" lift and 3" turbo back exhaust etc...

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

You will need a camber kit otherwise your tyres will be s**t after a couple of thousand km's. I wouldn't use standard shocks with superlows, you need shortened shocks or if you want to keep your shocks use lows. Lows will give a similar ride height to XR's about 30mm lower, superlows abot 60-70mm depending on the car.

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:05 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

phatal wrote:
I am gonna get a nolathane threaded camber kit when I do my suspension. I think they call it an evolution camber kit or something. It can be adjusted by thread instead of by shims. Meant to be better.

While they are good and all, they have to be done up super tight and even then has to be checked regularly as its possible for it to move. I personally reckon shims are much better.

hans hartman wrote:
now the fun starts-start shimming the arm out to square the wheel up-get it close as possible.then get wheel alignment at a suspension depot--most places wont touch the shims

again, sorry to disagree, but i do! THink about it, a wheel aligner place, as dodgy as they can be, if you have 2 deg neg camber (which is noticeable) they would surely have to change it. You will definately notice the difference between 2deg neg and 0 - 1/2 deg neg. and if you did get it close, then the dodgyness comes in and close enough is good enough!

But i do agree in needing to get camber/caster kits when doing the lowering job. And it will also make it much easier to get the spring out, while you have the upper arm hangin out - makes heaps more room to get the strut out!

Cheers
Matt

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

phatal wrote:
shim kit is better, with adjustable camber kit needs to be checked all the time

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

xf_xr6 wrote:
phatal wrote:

While they are good and all, they have to be done up super tight and even then has to be checked regularly as its possible for it to move. I personally reckon shims are much better.

hans hartman wrote:
now the fun starts-start shimming the arm out to square the wheel up-get it close as possible.then get wheel alignment at a suspension depot--most places wont touch the shims

again, sorry to disagree, but i do! THink about it, a wheel aligner place, as dodgy as they can be, if you have 2 deg neg camber (which is noticeable) they would surely have to change it. You will definately notice the difference between 2deg neg and 0 - 1/2 deg neg. and if you did get it close, then the dodgyness comes in and close enough is good enough!

But i do agree in needing to get camber/caster kits when doing the lowering job. And it will also make it much easier to get the spring out, while you have the upper arm hangin out - makes heaps more room to get the strut out!

Cheers
Matt
here in nsw there seems to be 2 difrent lic,s for wheel alignment a suspension place can do everythng,tyre places are restricted-you have to have a mechanic change the parts and come back,years ago a hq-hz have to have the upper arms shimmed and they all did it,but now its? are they premadonnas.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

stomper wrote:
How much per corner? Ill have to get that before i lower it. GRR
only the front,check with your parts supplier as they are all different in price and adjustment,the one with the most adjustment is nolathane and the most shims,company is based in vic -melb.i used these on the ef and ran out of adjustent. tickford set car up at -3.5deg corners great but shreads tyres,after the kit i got -1deg no more adjustment,rang the owner of the company to see about a bigger kit,hes happy with the set up,i got 50-60k out of tyres,still on the car.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:52 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Quote:
here in nsw there seems to be 2 difrent lic,s for wheel alignment a suspension place can do everythng,tyre places are restricted-you have to have a mechanic change the parts and come back,years ago a hq-hz have to have the upper arms shimmed and they all did it,but now its? are they premadonnas.

lol.... that would suck!

Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

im running super lows without a camber kit.

after roughly 17,000km the tyre wear is still even :D

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

I'm running supers in the front of my ED, with a camber kit, without the camber kit, i had 3.5* of neg camber, handled well, but tyre wear was unbeleivably quick, now have 1.5* of neg camber, still handles good, but not as much tyre wear

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next