Fordmods Logo

Lowering the wagons a*** - blocks, reseting, replacement? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Lowering the wagons a*** - blocks, reseting, replacement?
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I'm gunna fit Monero Sensatracs (the ones recomended for lowered wagons and the EF XR6 wagon - dirt cheap for me through work) and King Spring Lows to the wagon (as soon as the new garage/driveways finished -0 currently being done finally - no more scrapping! :D ).

anyways I'm wondering about lowering the a***. Lowering blocks (what size?) replacement springs, resenting springs? which one? need to match it to king low height.

the other thing is i still want to be able to carry a good load in the car, so i was gunna fit a Load Plus too - one of those leaf spring helper thingos.

O and as for comfort, it's the rear passengers don't give a toss about em. It's not a race car.sometimes i get a big excited and throw her into a corner but I'm not looking to turn it into a go cart or anything!

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

personally i'd get the rear leaves reset

Banned

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Interceptor wrote:
personally i'd get the rear leaves reset

whats the advantage of that over say blocks?

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: fairmont

QLD, Australia

lowering blocks are meant to be illegal my mate had them in his el wagon mind you they were the 2inch ones and the tailshaft keep on scrapin everywhere

Now i have a EF XR8 5spd.........mmmmmm 5L

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Hilux

VIC, Australia

i've got 2" blocks in my ED. sits level, though it does seem to scrape when there is a load on. makes towing interesting.

Now driving a Hilux

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Leroy wrote:
i've got 2" blocks in my ED. sits level, though it does seem to scrape when there is a load on. makes towing interesting.

so they don't tow and carry loads very well with lowering blocks?

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

not that it doesnt tow well, just a lot closer to the ground. I mived my sister the other week and the safety chains were dragging on the ground, and they werent the longest chains either. maybe we loaded the trailer too much i dont know. i didnt really tow before i had the blocks put in so i cant really compare sorry

Now driving a Hilux

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Leroy wrote:
not that it doesnt tow well, just a lot closer to the ground. I mived my sister the other week and the safety chains were dragging on the ground, and they werent the longest chains either. maybe we loaded the trailer too much i dont know. i didnt really tow before i had the blocks put in so i cant really compare sorry

when i towed a trainler with a 245 valiant engine and diff in it with the dog in the boot (60 kilo rodesian rideback) and a trials bike in there, and a mate in the front and another on back seat the wagons a*** was right down (looked wicked) but tyres were almost tucked in the gaurds. so i'm pretty sure if i lowered it I'd need the Load Plus leaf spring helpers so that i can carry loads like that again/.

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah look sgood until you go over a bump or osmehting then the practicality goes out the window but who needs practicality anyway. as long as it looks good.
I just hated the way the rear end of the wagon sat up so high and it just so happened a bloke i worked with was taking his blocks out of and old XD he had he was making a strip car out of so i got em cheap and a nother mate fitted them for me.
Looks heaps better now the rear is lower

Now driving a Hilux

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

well i've been looking into it and King Spring make lowered leaf springs at Low height.
Or Whiteline do a lowering block kit at 1 1/2" and 2" height (although they warn against 2" due to tailshaft scraping - 2" would be too low for me anyways). Sadly they don't amke a heavy duty/load carrying low springs.

Is there any advantage to pay the extra and get new springs over doing the blocks? Will either be more heavy duty for load carrying?
I think i might end up putting air adjustable suspension in the a*** for when need to carry. It seems it might be the only feasable option to go low and still tow and carry.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF 5 Speed, XH Uterus :P

TAS, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
when i towed a trainler with a 245 valiant engine and diff in it with the dog in the boot (60 kilo rodesian rideback) and a trials bike in there, and a mate in the front and another on back seat the wagons a*** was right down (looked wicked) but tyres were almost tucked in the gaurds. so i'm pretty sure if i lowered it I'd need the Load Plus leaf spring helpers so that i can carry loads like that again/.

i've towed a car trailer with the '78 wagon on the back with no probs, it definately sat the a*** end down a fair way, but had no troubles with bottoming out. sounds like the adjustable's the way to go!

Maloo - Holden's word for ugly.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 80 series cruiser

NSW, Australia

definetly go for a reset leaf spring and get them to throw an extra leaf on each side, i have this done to mine and it sits sweet as, can take a load and tow with no probs at all. handles really well aswell.

Thanks to Crescent Motors, Liverpool.
Call Joe on (02) 9600 6229.

I dont own a Landcruiser, it's a Maverick recovery vehicle!!!!

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

yobboford wrote:
definetly go for a reset leaf spring and get them to throw an extra leaf on each side, i have this done to mine and it sits sweet as, can take a load and tow with no probs at all. handles really well aswell.

I can get the extra leaf kits from work no worries - there called Load Plus or soemthing, they sell like hot cakes to the suspension shops so i'm guessing there good! I can fit thsee weather i reset, replace springs or use blocks.

Whats the advantage of me having my reseting the springs over buying new King Spring lows? Cheaper?

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:40 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: xh xr6 ute

ACT, Australia

I was wondering do the dual rate leaf spring from the ba utes fit on the earlier models ? might be the way to go . decent handling and still load carrying capable . looking for a set for my xh

God made s**t happen, Holden found a way to make it move

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XHII pano, Landau

VIC, Australia

wicksy wrote:
lowering blocks are meant to be illegal my mate had them in his el wagon mind you they were the 2inch ones and the tailshaft keep on scrapin everywhere

Lowering blocks are legal, as long as there not made of wood or candy or something :lol:

Automatics only come in assult riffles
---------------------------------------
www.aussiecoupes.net

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next