Fordmods Logo

Lsd oil and additives? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Lsd oil and additives?
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

I was going to pull my lsd out of the parts car tommorrow and thought while its out id replace the oil. So I was wondering what are they ment to run and what additives if any work well at preventing slip/ wear?

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Post subject: Re: Lsd oil and additives?
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: EF XR8

NSW, Australia

I replaced mine about a month ago with LSX90 Castrol oil.

Anything that is 90-120 should be fine

Blue blooded.

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
Castrol SAF-XA 1.6L needed

Nulon G70 Gearbox & Differential Treatment - 125g

That's basically what i used in the falcon and currently in the SS.

Castrol preferred as uses the Sturaco 7098 anti chatter similar to the Ford R178 LSD addictive or use Nulon SYN80W140 differential oil also has it.

thanks mr uniacidz :)
removed the diff today, took about 2 hours to remove the diff from the car then dragged the diff out from under the car with tailshaft attached. couldnt undo the tailshaft bolts,spent half the day looking at air compressors to run a rattle gun($750+ just for a big enough compressor!!) ended up buying a $500 250nm electric one, still cant remove the f**k :evil: angle grinder will be handy nekk week when im ready to fit it to my car :D

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

he bolts/nuts are 15mm and 18mm.....use ya muscles!!!!
I use Penrite Limslip 140 in my diffs.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Redline Synthetic 80W140 works well in Falcon diffs (http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=37&pcid=4). It already has the additive in it for LSDs, and is often all you need to cure a noisy diff. It's good stuff.

The heavier weight helps keep the LSD tighter longer than 75W90. If the diff is slipping more than you would like, you can use 75W140 NS (without the additive) and add Friction Modifier 5mls at a time until the chatter goes away. Drag racers use this method to "tune" their diffs.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i used nulon fully synthetic 90/140, was 25 or 28 a litre :shock:
but i generally wont bother to change diff oil(this is the first time ive ever drained/ refilled a diff before LOL)
so i figured do it with good oil now and it should be ok for a while

BF XR6

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

well well well :lol: my nieghbours hate me for up to about 4 streets around my area and my diff works just fine, im not game to dump the clutch too much i just thought id put it to the test now and then ill know if its fine, i also swapped my drive shaft for the el ghia one and my car has lost vibrations in the drive line and the diff is smooth as if its just been rebuilt. for some odd reason my clutch isnt slipping :| must not be as much load on it now with the lower gears, my original diff was a 3.23 open slipper which i thought was odd for a gli, thought they were mostly 3.08

BF XR6

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]