LSD rebuild 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: LSD rebuild
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Hi all,

I have an AU with IRS and an LSD. I have been wanting to rebuild the diff for some time, it singles out a lot, for example in the wet, when I give it some stick from stopped, it will single peg, but "ls" in both the dry and wet when I boot it during a corner. The very few times I have done donuts in it, it LS on the spot and then when I go to do the donut it singles, then grabs than singles then grabs. I dont often give it a hard time, but I would like it to at least LS when I take off in the wet.

I have rebuilt a few gearboxes in my time, but never a diff. I am under the opinion that these diffs have a tendancy to glaze the lsd cones and I have read the wsm that I downloaded off of a link on this site. What I need to know before I do this is after I sand the surfaces of the cones will I need to reshim the diff? I read about measuring the depth of the casing to the braking cone, but it was an extremely vauge discription and just said "select correct shim thickness" without giving any indication of how to do that.

So what I want to know is if I pull it appart, sand the cones and then put it back together, what will I have to check/adjust as far as shims and pre loads go? If I dont change any bearings I shouldnt need to adjust any pre loads and I shouldnt need to check the ring/pinion contact patch, is this right? Does anyone have some photos of the inside of one of these diffs just so I can get a better understanding of how everything comes appart and goes together?

Thanks,
Brent

Post subject: Re: LSD rebuild
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

just throw thicker oil in it. When I bought my au xr ute (live axle) the lsd acted worse than the single pegger in my ea used to lol. When I popped the casing of to fix a leak the oil seemed like it had done four million kilometers, pretty sure most of the friction material came out with the oil also.

I filled it up with 110w, did a few kms then changed it again. Tightened it up a fair bit, not reconditioned but tightened up.

If your not going to do a proper recondition and change bearings etc I wouldn't bother taking it apart.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I know you can get oil from penrite that makes the cones expand or something, might give that a go

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yer I don't have the container anymore, but it was penrite 110 extra heavy duty lim slip oil for heavy machinery :twisted:

accelerator works as a secondary steering wheel every time off the line... push to turn lol

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

low_ryda wrote:
accelerator works as a secondary steering wheel every time off the line... push to turn lol

Yer, I like that. Il have to give that oil a go

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I should also add at this point your ghias got about half a tonne on my ute and is balanced completely differently and also has IRS and an auto. Results may vary.

But the way I look at it, oils alot cheaper than a reco!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]