Fordmods Logo

Maximum Strength of the EL drivetrain? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Maximum Strength of the EL drivetrain?
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Turbo VT, VL Calais Trubo, HQ SS

VIC, Australia

Hi fellas,
I am currently in the process of getting a full snort supercharger system fitted to my EL Fairmont Ghia. The car is dead stock at the moment.
However I will getting a whipple supercharger along with full 3inch exhust system, tickford head with all the goodies such as adjustable rocker gear, solid rockers, better valve springs and maybe a small cam.

I am expecting the car to produce around 250-300rwk. As mentioned above the car is dead stock.

Is the standard EL driveline going to be able to cope with that extra power? Car is not going to be driven hard as it will be a daily. Just a few squirts here and there.

Also the car has a factory LSD with 3.45 gears.

Is there any mods people recommend that will help prolong the life of the driveline?
I was looking into a bigger transmission cooler.
Anything else?

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Maximum Strength of the EL drivetrain?
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

The diff will handle it no worries. The transmission however will be at it's limit of capacity. At the minimum, I'd keep it well serviced with good quality (prefrably sythentic) fluid, and fit a decent sized Trans cooler. if you want to go further, there's a few other things you can do like fitting a band from an XR6 turbo. Other people will know more than I do in this area. Also, I'd reccomend fitting new unis to the tailshaft and getting it balanced too. The standard tailshaft's plenty strong enough but you just want to make sure it's in good order. Also make sure that you're brakes are up to the job.

Gab

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Gab1 wrote:
The diff will handle it no worries. The transmission however will be at it's limit of capacity. At the minimum, I'd keep it well serviced with good quality (prefrably sythentic) fluid, and fit a decent sized Trans cooler. if you want to go further, there's a few other things you can do like fitting a band from an XR6 turbo. Other people will know more than I do in this area. Also, I'd reccomend fitting new unis to the tailshaft and getting it balanced too. The standard tailshaft's plenty strong enough but you just want to make sure it's in good order. Also make sure that you're brakes are up to the job.

Gab

Thanks mate. Sorry I forgot to mentioned I have already got performance pads and slotted and drilled rotors fitted to the car.
I will definately be fitting a decent sized trans cooler. In regards to fitting the xr6 turbo band what sort of cost is involved?

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

You won't make 250-300rwkw. Maybe 200-220. The driveline *should* be ok providing the Auto is good.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

67RCE wrote:
You won't make 250-300rwkw. Maybe 200-220. The driveline *should* be ok providing the Auto is good.

Any particular reason why you beleive the car will not make those sort of power figures?
I think I might give the transmission a full service once I chuck the blower on.

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:55 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

BoostedVT wrote:
67RCE wrote:

Any particular reason why you beleive the car will not make those sort of power figures?
I think I might give the transmission a full service once I chuck the blower on.

Probably because you don't have a sufficient fuel supply and ignition setup.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Krytox wrote:
BoostedVT wrote:
67RCE wrote:

Probably because you don't have a sufficient fuel supply and ignition setup.

Sorry guys my bad. I didnt want actually mention all the nitty gritty in the first post. The car will be getting bigger fuel injectors, pump, piggy back ECU etc.

So in terms of modifications the projected power output will be around 250-300rwk mark. I just wanted to know if the drivetrain was upto the job?

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:14 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia V8

VIC, Australia

Get a shift kit for the auto too, it will help reduce any slippage on gearshifts which generates heat and kills them.

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah i am looking into one of those adjustable ones. I had one in my vt (non adjustable) it just did my head in! So i wanna be able to turn it on and off!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]