Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: my squeaky piece of s**t
Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Hello all

My EL just lately has decided that the 230 000k's on the clock warrants a dummy spit. hence it seems everything under the car is making noise

I just wanna know what bushes I can do myself, what bits need a press, etc etc. I'd like to rebush the whole car, as well as tie rod ends etc etc, figuring out how it all works as I go along. This'll be the first time I actually bother with suspension bushes, i used to get dad to do them but i moved out of home :(

Anyone in Sydney could be bribed with alcohol to offer help of shed/jack? I'll buy some tools before i buy the bushes

too many rabbits in china

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:31 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

NSW, Australia

hey i got the same problem... everything kinda squeaks and rattles.

i know its the bushes but i cant be bothered doing it because its not an easy task. Especially the rear trailing arms. You basically need a lot of time and a hoist will help heaps

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU I XR6 VCT

NSW, Australia

start with checking tie rods. when they ahve a few k'so on them they start knocking a bit. this necessitates in replacing the inner section which isnt all that hard. (remove the boot and undo with stiltsens). the ball joint wears on the inner end (mine has the same problem, might get around to fixing them when they fall apart hehe)
stabilliser bushes start squarking well when they are dry so try replacing or geasing them up.
front ball joints can be a headache, requiring a good press to get them out sometimes they are rather tight so might want to take the spindles and top arms off the car adn get them done by someone with a press.
rear trailing arms also need a reasonably good press to get out and a hoist will make this job alot easier..
Never had to replace watts link bushes or caster strut bushes so not real sure what they are like to do.
Also shocker bushes will make noise too so might want to think about a new net front and rear.
Hope this all helps

drive it like it was built to be driven

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]