Fordmods Logo

need help, ford falcon AU auto transmission. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: need help, ford falcon AU auto transmission.
Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:45 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford falcon 2002 au series 3 ute

QLD, Australia

Hello, lately my falcon AU has been slipping outta drive going round corners an reving it's tits off then slams back into drive, is it cause the fluid is low?
Any chance someone has a video on changing the AU auto transmission fluid.
Don't want to bring it into Ford/an heard you can do it yourself but it's tricky?
You need to use a pump an etc?

Post subject: Re: need help, ford falcon AU auto transmission.
Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

It's actually not as difficult as you'd think, if you can change diff oil you can do the trans as well.
Would pay to change the filter with the trans fluid as well.

You'll need a filter kit, and it usually takes 3-4L of fluid. But get yourself a 5L bottle, better to have too much than not enough. And a hand pump will make the job a lot easier.

Pretty simple to do. Run the car up to temp then get it up on ramps or stands (try to get it level if you can), check the temp of the pan.. It should be warm to the touch, but not hot.

Undo the trans pan bolts from the rear working forward, leave the front bolts on for now (make sure you have an oil change pan or similar underneath to catch the fluid) and make sure you support the pan as you go.
Let the pan tilt back and drain as much of the fluid as you can before then removing the pan.

Clean as much of the crap as you can off the pan There should be magnets in each corner of the pan, check these for excessive amounts of metal shavings as this = buggered trans.

Unclip the filter and replace with the new one, make sure you use a new O ring.

Reinstall the pan using the new gasket and make sure you progressively tighten the bolts in a spiral fashion (like you would with head bolts.. start in the middle, then do the opposite one, then the one next to the first on you did and so on) to a torque of 4.5nm (So firm, but not 'swing off the spanner' tight)

Undo the filler plug on the drivers side near the cat convertor.
Fill up the trans with fluid. It should take 3.8L (Dry fill (Trans + torque convertor) is 10L) but as long as the car is level, fill to the level of the filler plug and reinstall plug.

Start and idle the car for a few minutes, move the selector lever slowly through all gears (obviously taking great care not to rock the car while it up in the air) return to park.

Check fluid level is correct.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Esteven8 wrote:
Fill up the trans with fluid. It should take 3.8L (Dry fill (Trans + torque convertor) is 10L) but as long as the car is level, fill to the level of the filler plug and reinstall plug.

McPatrick, you would have figured out that this method does not replace all the fluid in the trans - only 3.8L out of 10L. If 100% replacement is what you are looking for, you will need a proper trans flush. I know some fordmodders do this at home, but it's a bit more complicated than a drain & fill. I'm way too lazy, so I get the trans shop to do it.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford falcon 2002 au series 3 ute

QLD, Australia

Thanks for the replies, I might just take it into the shop an get it all cleaned out:)
Thanks again much appreciated.

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Faclon AU

ACT, Australia

I know this is a reaally old post, but I have a similar problem. Did changing the transmission fluid sort it out?

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:45 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Robbo Rob wrote:
I know this is a reaally old post, but I have a similar problem. Did changing the transmission fluid sort it out?

it can ... depending on how long/bad the condition of the box has been.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]