Fordmods Logo

new tyres WANLI??? 

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
grab a set of federals or kuhmos, the Wanlis are a yokie copy but with a crap trad wear.. if you can fork a few more $$ out for a silica base tyre compound. Kuhmos are good for the $$ as well. Don't be tight when it comes to tyres. you get what you pay for and I want to know its going to pull round the next corner.

hear hear

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:31 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: falconxr6

QLD, Australia

Hey Dude,
i got a set of wanli's with my mags in a package most certainly dont reccomend them they are terrible in the wet and get that annoying high pitch squeel sound when you take a sharp turn too quickly i've since gone to maxxi's tyres there the cootes give em a go. i'll slap a pick on with the wanli's they look ok but performance wise a no no.

Attachments:
File comment: Wanli 235/45
IMGA0135.JPG
IMGA0135.JPG [ 61.31 KiB | Viewed 172 times ]

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Mini Cooper S Supercharged

NSW, Australia

phatal wrote:
When I got my car it had Wanlis on it and they were very very s**t. They squealed heaps around corners and had bugger all grip. They also had a heap of road noise. I changed them over for a set of Yokahama C-drives and they are a million times better.

Hey Hey, I had them when I was running 16's. Bloody expensive, but talk about grip! I now have the 18's and as Kezza said, I am running nankangs. Cost me about $185 a tyre and nothing to report yet. They are fairly grippy and have a madd tread pattern. A bit of road noise but then again, I got used to the C-Drives. Would definatley recomend the Nankangs if your after a cheap tyre!

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR6

WA, Australia

Sounds like nankangs are the major consensus ;)

5spd Heritage Green EL XR6. Wheels by ROH. Stereo by Clarion. Exhaust by Pacemaker & Lukey. Suspension by Whiteline, Durashock and K-Mac.

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EL XR6

VIC, Australia

As i havce said before i have Marshell Power Racer II's on 235/45/17's and i havent found a fault in the 6 months i have had them - very good wearing tyre - not much road noise at all and they are about 150 - 170 a tyre - so pretty good!!! and they are better than those Nankings!! i dont know why people bother with them - they are terrible tyres!!

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Demo_efman wrote:
As i havce said before i have Marshell Power Racer II's on 235/45/17's and i havent found a fault in the 6 months i have had them - very good wearing tyre - not much road noise at all and they are about 150 - 170 a tyre - so pretty good!!! and they are better than those Nankings!! i dont know why people bother with them - they are terrible tyres!!

No there not. There nearly as good as the C-Drives I had only a little more noisy. The only difference is that I was paying $215 for the Yokies in 225/60 R16 And I am paying $185 For the Nankangs in 235/40 R18. They have as much grip (If Not More) than the Yokies. And Do they perform in the wet or what. And when I say perform, I mean grip, Not perform for the "Homies" on the foot path!

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

Unless you're a total spastic, i would bet all the brand would stop within the same distance, and if you're worried about stopping 50cm quicker, you're either driving like d***head most of the time, or are paranoid as f**k.
I would agree the Wanli's leave a bit to be desired in the Wet, but have absolutely amazing grip in the dry. Mine are wearing, very well and still have good grip even though they are getting down a bit.
Also, if you're totally paranoid about a little more grip when accelerating, have people ever heard of not accelerating so hard, in average conditions. How hard is it to notice when your car is going to loose traction or when it does. Its also not hard to back off, unless you want to skate down the road...

I'm sure the Nankangs and so on are good, but if you guys want a god tyre, and most don't seem worried about price, they way they carry on about the cheaper Wanli's, why don't you get some SO3's. They're only $500+ a pop......

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

EL XR8 wrote:
Unless you're a total spastic, i would bet all the brand would stop within the same distance, and if you're worried about stopping 50cm quicker, you're either driving like d***head most of the time, or are paranoid as f**k.
I would agree the Wanli's leave a bit to be desired in the Wet, but have absolutely amazing grip in the dry. Mine are wearing, very well and still have good grip even though they are getting down a bit.
Also, if you're totally paranoid about a little more grip when accelerating, have people ever heard of not accelerating so hard, in average conditions. How hard is it to notice when your car is going to loose traction or when it does. Its also not hard to back off, unless you want to skate down the road...

I'm sure the Nankangs and so on are good, but if you guys want a god tyre, and most don't seem worried about price, they way they carry on about the cheaper Wanli's, why don't you get some SO3's. They're only $500+ a pop......

Good tyres DO reduce stopping distances
Good brakes DO reduce stopping distances
Correct tyre pressure DO reduce stopping distances
Fatter tyres DO reduce stopping distances

Anyone that thinks that any of the above DON'T reduce stopping distances, or thinks that the thin line between life and death is wider than 50cm is spastic. Also, anyone that thinks that stopping distance is only important in the dry is spastic.

And if you want to be a smart a*** and talk about grippy, expensive tyres, then how about some street legal racing tyres from Stuckey Tyre Service?
http://www.stuckey.com.au/tyres_details ... reName=RA1
I've used the above tyres before and @ 3 times the price for 5000km life, I can tell you they redefine 'grip' and 'expensive'... oh, and they reduce stopping distances too.

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF Falcon

VIC, Australia

(nankang) thay hang on real well and i don't drive like no p***y

EFBIGNIK 145.9 RWKW Falcon / 16.27 @ 86.72mph (Stock)
http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h38/e ... urnout.flv

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Well thakn you captain obvious, does tyre pressure help stopping distances, brakes as well. Well half the people on here should be spending money on upgraded brakes for the amount spent on tyres.
I would be surpised that a tyre 3 times the Wanli's stop all that much better. The Wanli's are fine in the wet when braking, not so good for accelerating hard.
Well if i have to be a so called smart***, who the hell is going to have street legal racing tyres, with their 5000km lifespan, on mostly 6 cyl falcons? for the price that they are.
As far as i knew, people where talking about a street tyre, that most can afford. If you drive legally, do you really need those sort of tyres??????
By the way, your awesome 'stuckey tyre service' tyres will grip really well, when i have to stretch the 18" tyre to fit my 19"s.

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:54 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

unclewoja, I'd save the preaching for guys running retreads and cut springs with worn out shocks.
Dampers affect stopping distances.
So does driver attentiveness.
Perhaps less time spent ragging on someone answering the threads question would do you well.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

EL XR8 wrote:
The Wanli's are fine in the wet when braking, not so good for accelerating hard.
Well if i have to be a so called smart***, who the hell is going to have street legal racing tyres, with their 5000km lifespan, on mostly 6 cyl falcons? for the price that they are.
As far as i knew, people where talking about a street tyre, that most can afford. If you drive legally, do you really need those sort of tyres??????
By the way, your awesome 'stuckey tyre service' tyres will grip really well, when i have to stretch the 18" tyre to fit my 19"s.

But, you stated previously that Wanli's leave a bit to be desired in the wet. Now they're fine?

And yes, you're right. People are talking about tyres that "most people" can afford. "Most people" Don't buy S03s @ $500 per corner. If you "drive legally" you don't need S03s either. So, do you want to be the pot or the kettle?

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Haha, well if you read whta i had bee saying from the start, the Wanli's leave a lot to be desired in the Wet in relation for acceleration, but they have no problems braking in the wet, so i have found.

So if you now agree, that most people can't afford $500 a tyre, what's your recommendation then, some more semi racing street legal tyres, at what 3 times the price????

I was here offering my opinion, and haven't slagged anyone else's choice of tyres, but i have found the Wanli's to be a very good tyre, for the price they are.
You can spend you hard earned on your Stuck-up, i mean stuckey stores tyres, and i'll happily buy my Wanli's.

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Bugga

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

I dont know what your budget is and wanli is a realy cheep tyre. I'm putting federals on my car at $160 each for 235/45/17. As said earlier though you can spend a fortune I've sold tyres at nearly $700 each for 17's that got f**k all k's but were as close to pure race tyres as allowed on the road and stuck like s**t to a blanket. what ever your choice I would however recomend that you stay away from GT RADIALS their absoloute s**t and have not had one customer ask for them a second time round.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next