Fordmods Logo

NL auto trans playing up 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: NL auto trans playing up
Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

Hi guys, I bought a 97 NL Fairlane last week. The previous owner said that the person before him put a chip in the car (going to take the panel off and check myself soon). While cruising on the highway if I even add 1% more to the throttle when cruising the transmission will go into 3rd and keep going until I let off the throttle. After that the engine will rev for a second then go into 4th.

I was just wondering if you buy a chip, do you have to get one for the auto transmission as well?

WEST COAST CHOPPERS

"One of the few full blooded Asian dudes in Australia terrorizing vinyl sticker and chrome hubcap equiped cars with a Ford V8. This psychotic chap not only eats rice on the table, he also eats rice on the road."
- Basil Fawlty

Post subject: Re: NL auto trans playing up
Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 32 GTR

NSW, Australia

NL_V8_GHIA wrote:
Hi guys, I bought a 97 NL Fairlane last week. The previous owner said that the person before him put a chip in the car (going to take the panel off and check myself soon). While cruising on the highway if I even add 1% more to the throttle when cruising the transmission will go into 3rd and keep going until I let off the throttle. After that the engine will rev for a second then go into 4th.

I was just wondering if you buy a chip, do you have to get one for the auto transmission as well?

Sorry a biit off-topic dude, but are you serious? 0-100km/h in 24 seconds for a V8 lane?

237.9 KW ATW

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: V.W.

VIC, Australia

It might be the Torque Converter locking and unlocking, it feels like a gear change.
Back to third is a Big jump.

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

hahah narh it just feels slow but it goes alright

i get alot of subaru libertys and VYs racing off once the lights go green i just put along to the next set of lights then i blitz them...

so yeah the 0-100 in 24 secs just meant the car don't feel fast to me...

WEST COAST CHOPPERS

"One of the few full blooded Asian dudes in Australia terrorizing vinyl sticker and chrome hubcap equiped cars with a Ford V8. This psychotic chap not only eats rice on the table, he also eats rice on the road."
- Basil Fawlty

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

NL_V8_GHIA wrote:

i get alot of subaru libertys and VYs racing off once the lights go green i just put along to the next set of lights then i blitz them...

Yer, fairlanes feel fairly subdued no matter what you do to them imho, unless you put a manual in!
Neo_Nick's NL feels fast with the manual conversion, cant wait to line up against it tho hehe :)

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 32 GTR

NSW, Australia

Daniel wrote:
NL_V8_GHIA wrote:

Yer, fairlanes feel fairly subdued no matter what you do to them imho, unless you put a manual in!
Neo_Nick's NL feels fast with the manual conversion, cant wait to line up against it tho hehe :)

That should be very interested....
I have no idea off who will win, maybe we should place bets? :wink:

237.9 KW ATW

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Ah hem, back on topic you f'n whores.. :roll:

This chip sounds a bit sus. Before doing anything perhaps you should take it out and see how the car runs.. If it is programable, have it retuned if it is the problem. Otherwise you're probably going to have to get the gearbox service, full flush including all 10L.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:13 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Thats the same as my car, my tranny does that aswell, although mines a six, it does that. Basically Id accelerate up to 90, it would drop to 4th, as soon as I touch the accelerator it drops to third...

Ive been told I either screwed up, or broke my transmission bands, and they need adjusting/replacing.. I can agree with that, so thats what Ill do.. the only difference with mine, is mines goes from first, revs up, and changes to thrid.

So yeah, just check your bands.

Goodluck

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

If your engine has been chipped, it WILL NOT and CAN NOT affect the operation of the transmission on an E-Series V8.

As you sit in the driver's seat, look above your left knee (underneath dash) and you will see a small box with two looms coming from it. This is your transmission control module and is responsible for all aspect of the tranny.

The I6 boys and girls have the engine computer doing transmission control so it's possible (but unlikely) a chip on an I6 can alter shifting patterns. Not so for the E-series V8.

Id say its just TC locking and unlocking. Only really locks up with constant accel pedal. If you snap throtle off, TC will unlock. If you plant accel, TC will also unlock. Hold pedal steady and keep speed steady and TC will remain locked.....

Interested to hear what chip you've inhereted. May just be an off-the-shelf chip that tunes the engine to 98RON fuel or may even be a unichip. Only one way to find out and takes 30 seconds.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

Daniel wrote:
NL_V8_GHIA wrote:

im keen to give it a go to Danni boy

Nicko

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]