Fordmods Logo

Older power steering pumps in EL? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Older power steering pumps in EL?
Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

TAS, Australia

Hi All,

Bearing is getting a little noisy on my EL steering pump (I'm sure its the bearing - I've cleaned the filter), which I'm thinking of selling so I'm feeling a bit stingy on the $300 quoted for a reco steering pump.

I see plenty of EA/EB/ED (or XF even?) pumps 2nd hand on wrecked cars for sale for sfa. Will these ones fit with a pulley change? Or are there internal considerations as well?

Cheers,
Brad

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

When my EB pump went, i toodled down to ford to get some figures. They quoted me 99 dollars for an EB pump, without pulley. But apparently theyre now obsolete, so i ended up with an XF pump (?) on mine. The cast housing is exactly the same as my eb one, but the pressed tin reservoir is roatated about 20 odd degrees. So it now sits on an angle, but thats fine with me. Doesnt change the operation of the pump in the slightest. Not sure whether the EF/EL pumps are different, apart from the pulley. Also got an XF pulley to suit, but i assume the eb one, which is smaller, would fit fine.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Pretty sure that they are the same up until the BA's... might have had some sligh internal changes.. so it shouldn't be a problem. They look identical.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Different pulleys, but you can get ford to swap them for you. Also, XF pumps had a larger diametre pulley. Probably slows the pump down by about two thirds? But putting the ef/el one on would overcome that

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Dude the prices of new power steering pumps went down recently at Ford. I got one for $168 this week. Don't think the places with the recon ones know yet, because I was quoted $313 for a recon one exchange! lol.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]