Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: piston in calliper
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 97 EL futura & BF XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

hi guys

i am planning to put new pads on front and rears on my el i6 with abs and give the lines a flush aswell.
but the question id like to ask is when i take the piston out from the caliper to have a look how it is can i clean them with turps to get the greasy finger marks off or is that a no no.
also after i get the pistons out if i have no oil left after taking 2 out would the other 2 come out with just air or do i need to top it up a little.
because i am planning to put air from the compressor onto the hoses to blow the crap out...

there is only 2 rules in driving go hard or go home

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

air from a compressor will blow the pistons out very quickly - be careful. hydraulic system runs at a lower pressure.

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

thanks ill give it a shot

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:09 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Make sure you have a seal kit before you pull you pistons out as you will need to replace the seals. Don't use solvents etc to clean it up, Metho is ok, just wipe them over with a clean rag.

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
air from a compressor will blow the pistons out very quickly - be careful. hydraulic system runs at a lower pressure.

The hydraulic system runs at a LOWER pressure????? Where the hell did you pick that up from???? That is a CROCK. The test pressure guage for a car brake system goes to 3000 PSI. You ain't gunna get 3000 PSI out of a W/shop compressor.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Post subject: Re: piston in calliper
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

[quote="kovac"]hi guys

i am planning to put new pads on front and rears on my el i6 with abs and give the lines a flush aswell.
but the question id like to ask is when i take the piston out from the caliper to have a look how it is can i clean them with turps to get the greasy finger marks off or is that a no no.
also after i get the pistons out if i have no oil left after taking 2 out would the other 2 come out with just air or do i need to top it up a little.
because i am planning to put air from the compressor onto the hoses to blow the crap out...[/quote

Hey, dude, if you don't know about it, haven't done it before, pay someone to do it, it can be cheaper. Seen it before, owner gets quote, owner says fvck that, i'll do it myself, 2 weeks later, owners car arrives on tow-truck, with 2 rear calipers, smashed with god knows what. Get the picture???

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

This is before and after overhauling a brake caliper, in pics.

Attachments:
Lance's P76 rotors for AUII ABS tone wheels 07 009.jpg
Lance's P76 rotors for AUII ABS tone wheels 07 009.jpg [ 418.27 KiB | Viewed 140 times ]
Lance's P76 rotors for AUII ABS tone wheels 07 028.jpg
Lance's P76 rotors for AUII ABS tone wheels 07 028.jpg [ 450.59 KiB | Viewed 159 times ]
Lance's P76 rotors for AUII ABS tone wheels 07 038.jpg
Lance's P76 rotors for AUII ABS tone wheels 07 038.jpg [ 458.81 KiB | Viewed 128 times ]
Lance's P76 rotors for AUII ABS tone wheels 07 039.jpg
Lance's P76 rotors for AUII ABS tone wheels 07 039.jpg [ 440.69 KiB | Viewed 139 times ]

Post subject: Re: piston in calliper
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

cjh wrote:
kovac wrote:
hi guys

because i am planning to put air from the compressor onto the hoses to blow the crap out...[/quote

Hey, dude, if you don't know about it, haven't done it before, pay someone to do it, it can be cheaper. Seen it before, owner gets quote, owner says fvck that, i'll do it myself, 2 weeks later, owners car arrives on tow-truck, with 2 rear calipers, smashed with god knows what. Get the picture???

well thanks for the heads up but how the hell am i going to learn in doing things without giving it a go and i was only asking because my old man hasnt done one for 25yrs just needed to refresh his memory.
and the bloke that i did get a quote on was radiculous

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

thanks for the pics cjh i had a look after i pulled the piston out and it looks pretty good nothing like the first pic the piston and the barrol looks like the last 1 with no scratches or rusting on it which is a good sign

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

kovac wrote:
thanks for the pics cjh i had a look after i pulled the piston out and it looks pretty good nothing like the first pic the piston and the barrol looks like the last 1 with no scratches or rusting on it which is a good sign

I am quite particular in rebuilding calipers, lives are at stake.
They have been cleaned out with a heavy duty degreaser ( caustic base), then glass bead blasted, then appropriate orifices blocked off, then painted with high quality paint, then baked in an oven, then assembled using silicone grease/fluid in the right places. Never had a come-back.
BTW, its not a "barrol", its a "piston bore".
Make sure its very clean where the piston o'ring & dust boot grooves are.

Attachments:
Lance's P76 rotors for AUII ABS tone wheels 07 011.jpg
Lance's P76 rotors for AUII ABS tone wheels 07 011.jpg [ 454.1 KiB | Viewed 133 times ]
Lance's P76 rotors for AUII ABS tone wheels 07 012.jpg
Lance's P76 rotors for AUII ABS tone wheels 07 012.jpg [ 442.1 KiB | Viewed 140 times ]
Lance's P76 rotors for AUII ABS tone wheels 07 054.jpg
Lance's P76 rotors for AUII ABS tone wheels 07 054.jpg [ 577.6 KiB | Viewed 128 times ]
Lance's P76 rotors for AUII ABS tone wheels 07 053.jpg
Lance's P76 rotors for AUII ABS tone wheels 07 053.jpg [ 567 KiB | Viewed 128 times ]

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

thanks cjh
i have drained all the brake fluid out of my lines and gave it a good blow job and replaced the front, rear rotors, pads and put a kit through my pistons.

where i am stuck atm is i filled the brake booster and bleed the brakes untill bubbles stoped but the pedal still feels a bit stiff while driving would i have to bleed the booster aswell or just need to bleed more incase of air in the lines?

cheers

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

kovac wrote:
thanks cjh
i have drained all the brake fluid out of my lines and gave it a good blow job and replaced the front, rear rotors, pads and put a kit through my pistons.

where i am stuck atm is i filled the brake booster and bleed the brakes untill bubbles stoped but the pedal still feels a bit stiff while driving would i have to bleed the booster aswell or just need to bleed more incase of air in the lines?

cheers

Does the booster work properly??? To test, engine off, pump brake several times, about 6, then while your foot is still on the brake pedal pushing down, start the car, the pedal should go down if booster is working.
I have found when you replace rotors ( f&r), disc pads (f&r), and rebuilt the calipers, then bleed it, the brakes are a bit vague for a few weeks, till it all beds in.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

i pumped it up a few times and when i start the motor its fine but when i am driving the peddle feels a little bit hard to push down to stop.
as far as i know the booster is ok because its only about 2yrs old.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:48 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

You may have stuck high speed Pads in.
Get to 100KMH then hit the brakes. If she pulls up quick then you got High Speed Pads.

High Speed pads dont work well at City Driving speeds.

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:14 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

ok sweet ill give that a go

i bought soft pads without metal compund in them so it doesnt chew the crap out of my rotors their called ferodo ft

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next