power steering fluid change 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: power steering fluid change
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:50 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Hi guys, time has come to change the steering fluid in my car.

What is currently happening is steering is fine at first, then it becomes notchy or sticky, the wheel will not return back to centre as easy and it feels like it tram lines.

I have looked at the fluid and it appears to have a shine to it, making me think its old and needs to be dropped. BUT, is there a pressure return line from the rack to the pump? I think I may have a blockage there. I think the oil in the rack overheats as its not able to travel back to the pump causing all this to begin with.

What is the capacity of the steering system and could I be correct in thinking there may be a block?

Dave

I have a car.

Post subject: Re: power steering fluid change
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
Hi guys, time has come to change the steering fluid in my car.
What is currently happening is steering is fine at first, then it becomes notchy or sticky, the wheel will not return back to centre as easy and it feels like it tram lines.
I have looked at the fluid and it appears to have a shine to it, making me think its old and needs to be dropped. BUT, is there a pressure return line from the rack to the pump? I think I may have a blockage there. I think the oil in the rack overheats as its not able to travel back to the pump causing all this to begin with.
What is the capacity of the steering system and could I be correct in thinking there may be a block?
Dave

Dave, this may sound silly to you but I had a similar problem years ago with my EB Falcon. I found that the bearing at the bottom of the column was the culprit. All the Mechs where I work said you will have to replace the column and I was prepared to do so but I tried some Penetrating fluid in it and spent about 30 mins with the wheels off the ground turning it lock to lock and woo, it was fixed. :)

BTW, the fluid you can use is the R1 424 Ford fluid used on EF onwards, just flush out all the old stuff and I think it is 1.5 litres.

Post subject: Re: power steering fluid change
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:08 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

I knew someone would say bearing....

I'll find where exactly on friday night..

Thank you though.

I have a car.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]